Just put in an online order for Estes Hatchery for today's ship date

teddiliza

Songster
11 Years
Feb 1, 2008
St Louis MO (Jefferson County)
Ha Ha, they were NOT out of Favorelles or Speckled Sussex yet! Here I am at 0100 placing an order for today's ship date, as I have this week off and it would be perfect to spend with new chickies! I'm anxious to see if it actually gets filled, I left them my cell phone # on the online ordering form to call me so I know for sure. The website 'autobot' said I'd get my shipment in 2 to 3 days. I also got the Marek's vaccine, so I'm really putting them and their website to the test, we'll see if they can deliver......
smile.png
My husband gave me the 'go ahead if they're not bantams!' approval. The feed store won't get them in till next week, but I"m not on vacation next week!

lol.png

I'll let you all know how it goes!

Okay, the website autobot was wrong, I think they need to amend the automated response to be 'all supply shipments not containing live poulty will be shipped in 2-3 days'. (Got me all excited it did-- but I knew better) I did get a nice e-mail from Estes on the same day of my order, stating their first hatch with the # of Speckled sussex I ordered will be March 7th. So I will get my chickies on March 8th or 9th. Not bad for wanting rare breeds
smile.png
Now I have to clean my garage and get my brooders ready.....I did get the Marek's vaccine, which they generally don't do for the feed store chicks. I'll keep everyone posted! I live in the same state as Estes so the chicks will have it easy I hope!

GOT THEM TODAY MARCH 8TH AS PLANNED!
smile.png
Post office called me about 10:30 to say they'd be in by noon. I am very pleased-- ordered 26, got 28 live healthy chicks! (no doa's)

I got 14 total favorelles- had ordered 12 girls and 1 boy (2 don't appear to have much of beard) and 14 speckled sussex (ordered 12 girls & 1 boy). But now my question is, they marked the males I ordered, as requested, but the extra 2 in the box I''m thinking were male because there was a +1 note next to each of the box labels which stated 1 cockerel. But there's only two total marked. So I"m worried the person who's buying my extras from me may end up with an unintended male! Yipes. I figure I can get reimbursed for 4 and give 6 just in case (since there were two extras). I'll have to e-mail Estes to find out for sure. At least with the favs she'll know in 2 weeks if one is a boy. Pics to follow.

Last edited:
You might be able to tell the boys on the sussex because of the markings. The males are different (but I can't remember how...) in a way you may be able to get someone to identify. I like Estes stock- for a hatchery, they do a good job.

UPDATE******

Out of my original order of speckled sussexes, I ended up with a straight run by mistake. I'd ordered 1 rooster and 12 pullets, and gave the okay for any extras to be male. I ended up with 6 total males out of 14. I sent pictures to Judy at Estes just to be sure, and she apologized and sent me 10 replacement pullets when the weather warmed up!!!!!

thumbsup.gif

Now if THAT isn't going above and beyond to stand by your guarantees, I don't know what is. I was very pleased! My speckled sussexes are thriving and full of personality (both older and newer). I am definitely loving this breed! I did sell my salmon favorelles to some nice individuals to concentrate on raising the sussexes.

Back
Top Bottom