Juvenile Pen Design Suggestions

NestingHillsSC

Songster
8 Years
Jan 6, 2012
Tennessee
Quick run down. I already have an area for my production Reds. 20 more eggs in the bator. Need to double my egg out put. Getting 10 Heritage RIR's, 25 Heritage Delawares and 25 good bloodline Light Brahmas. Which will all have there separate areas for breeding.

So I'm going to need a juvenile area. Now like most people I'm not made of money so I try to keep it simple but effective. My question is should I section off the juvenile area? And if so how many stages? Do I really need a hen type house for each stage? I live in SC so they go outside in 2-3 weeks. As soon as they get there feathers. Never had a problem with this. When I get my other 3 breeds this won't be a problem because they can go right to there designated area. But when I start breeding and hatching that's what the problem comes to play. So i need an area where I can keep them separate for around 16-18 weeks. Or until I think they can handle being moved with the grown ups.

I learn a lot here so look forward to everybody's suggestions.

I'd think you wouldn't need nest boxes since u only plan to keep them in that area while juveniles but a coop would still be great for protection. Rainy days, windy days, and night time. Plenty of perches and a bedding floor maybe. Then again the juvenile stage was when my rir girls began getting used to nest boxes.

Most definitely will have a house. Like you said, I don't need hen boxes because they will be moved with the flock before then if not sold.

I guess one of my concerns are ages. Will a 2-3 week old get killed by a 10-12 week old. If you know what I mean. I do tend to over think things. So maybe that's what I am doing. I just like to do things right the first time. So I don't have to do things 2-3 times after I realize this isn't working. Which I normally do , because we learn new things everyday. But with every bodies help here seems to cut that curve for me down a bit. LOL

Most definitely will have a house. Like you said, I don't need hen boxes because they will be moved with the flock before then if not sold.

I guess one of my concerns are ages. Will a 2-3 week old get killed by a 10-12 week old. If you know what I mean. I do tend to over think things. So maybe that's what I am doing. I just like to do things right the first time. So I don't have to do things 2-3 times after I realize this isn't working. Which I normally do , because we learn new things everyday. But with every bodies help here seems to cut that curve for me down a bit. LOL
That's a pretty significant difference in ages. They might get along fine, but probably best if you could separate them.

So slip in half maybe?? 2-3 week up to 8 weeks. Then 8 weeks to 16/18 weeks.

I might be wrong (please tell me if I'm wrong) but won't a broody hen take care of the chicks that are way too small?

I have 13 layer chicks in the brooder now. They'll be 3 weeks old on Friday. I actually plan to wait until they're closer to 6-8 weeks before putting them out with the other girls. I think it's too cold to put them out yet (it still drops to 30s-40s). In the meantime as they get bigger than the small brooder I have a 8x10 holding brooder indoors as they age.

As for a juvenile pen, I have my coop split into two sections: 1) is the main house with nesting boxes and 2) is the juvi "pen" with chicken wire separating the two . This way they could see each other through the wire and get used to one another. Kind of helps them work out the pecking order before being completely introduced. Juvies stay in their pen until they've 'imprinted' on the coop so they could free range safely.

Placing things like a cut in half cabbage hung from the ceiling, treats, scratch scattered around and free ranging helps the older birds get used to each other in a safer environment because they're distracted.

Last edited:
That's a good idea to have a smaller pen attached to the regular area. But with the hens taking care of the chicks. As of now. I have no broody hens. I incubate my eggs. So there is no mother hen. LOL. And also, I will be hatching at different times.

That's a good idea to have a smaller pen attached to the regular area. But with the hens taking care of the chicks. As of now. I have no broody hens. I incubate my eggs. So there is no mother hen. LOL. And also, I will be hatching at different times.

My chicks were from McMurray but I have one hen which is 'broody'. She lays on the fake stone eggs I have in the nesting boxes. Tucks them under her like she's trying to hatch. :D

I "think" putting them in there when they're too small to be a threat and too big to get cold/sick/etc is the idea depending on weather conditions and the state of your flock.

Generally from what I've read up to a month difference in age isn't a problem. Might want to incubate in stages so you have bigger batches rather than a few at a time.

Generally from what I've read up to a month difference in age isn't a problem. Might want to incubate in stages so you have bigger batches rather than a few at a time.

Yea. I was just thinking I will be having 4 different flocks. My incubator only holds so many. Maybe by then I can get a really big one. HAHAHAH!!!!

Back
Top Bottom