Keep the Coop Warm without Electricity

It's been some years since I've had chickens. At what temp is it safe to bring chickens outside to coop? I'm getting them in May and live in the northeast. Thank you šŸ˜Š

It's been some years since I've had chickens. At what temp is it safe to bring chickens outside to coop? I'm getting them in May and live in the northeast. Thank you šŸ˜Š
Let's start from the beginning. When you first get chicks they need a broader at 95F the first week. Then lower the temperature 5 degrees per week. Chicks are fully feathered around 8 weeks. So by the time they're fully feathered they can handle cooler temperatures around 60F. Hope that clears it up for you.

I turn chicks out of the brooder at 4 weeks in spring and 3 weeks late spring. Plenty feathered by then. Of course half the Easters we still have snow on the ground so first hatched chicks are turned out end of April and second round chicks are out mid May. @BLT79 I'm well North of Mass. temps where they can even leave sugar water in bee hives over winter you'll be fine turning 3 week chicks outside in early or mid April. Provided you have at least three to keep warm together nights.

Here's my average temps-
barton weather.jpg

Last edited:
Here is an extensive article that goes more into about brooders, light bulbs, size of brooders, and etc from University of Florida.
https://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/publication/AN182

I turn chicks out of the brooder at 4 weeks in spring and 3 weeks late spring. Plenty feathered by then. Of course half the Easters we still have snow on the ground so first hatched chicks are turned out end of April and second round chicks are out mid May. @BLT79 I'm well North of Mass. temps where they can even leave sugar water in bee hives over winter you'll be fine turning 3 week chicks outside in early or mid April. Provided you have at least three to keep warm together nights.

Here's my average temps-
View attachment 3001217
I'm getting 15 chicks second week of May. Does that mean they go right into coop? Sorry, I usually get them from TSC as soon as they come, but not this year!

If they don't have feathers you need to supply a heat source for them for when they get cold. People brood in the coops using heating plate or a well secured brooding lamp with low watt light. They have the white 125watt heat lamps which seem to be expensive and burn out when turning on for next year. I use 75 or 100 watt incandescent bulb in my metal hood heat lamp.

If using the brooding lamp double secure it so it never falls. The brooding heat plates don't seem to be fire hazards.

1645498978892.png

Hi, Bonker- we have this darned wind, luckily here it is still 20 deg. I am going to put an extra wrap on my coop just to block wind, the next 4 days looks brutal.

Hi, Bonker- we have this darned wind, luckily here it is still 20 deg. I am going to put an extra wrap on my coop just to block wind, the next 4 days looks brutal.

I found it most challenging to control the wind to avoid cold draft but still keep good ventilation.

I use all the tricks I can get -
- boards to deflect the wind blowing directly into
coop doors (doors are open all year round to a predator proof area),
- extend the overhangs to keep the wind blowing directly in to the coop (the wind can be so nasty),
- tape up all the cracks at their perch level in the wall

they are unsightly looking from outside, but inside the coop is dry and chooks can keep warm.

If they don't have feathers you need to supply a heat source for them for when they get cold. People brood in the coops using heating plate or a well secured brooding lamp with low watt light. They have the white 125watt heat lamps which seem to be expensive and burn out when turning on for next year. I use 75 or 100 watt incandescent bulb in my metal hood heat lamp.

If using the brooding lamp double secure it so it never falls. The brooding heat plates don't seem to be fire hazards.

View attachment 3001253

Back
Top Bottom