Keeping a lone chick warm...

daniduck

silent stalker
10 Years
Nov 1, 2009
Florida
My Coop
My Coop
We had a few extenuating circumstances that lead to a few temp fluxuations, that dropped our live chicks down to 25%, then after storms came through and we lost power for 10 hrs over night, only one of our chicks hatched. We have a desk lamp over our itty biddy temp brooder box and a towel to help keep the heat in, but the temp is hovering right above 90. I'm worried with no buddies our little miracle chick might not be staying warm enough at that temp. He/she seems pretty active and talkative, and seems to be perking up more and more as time passes, but I'm fretting a bit, I confess. Any thoughts on how to keep a lone chick warm?

im not too sure..just keep an eye on her
hmm.png

GOOD LUCK!

Your set-up will do OK. I suggest having it so that the chick can actually get to a cooler place if it wants to, but keep one area in the brooder at the recommended temperatures, between 90*F and 95*F the first week and drop it 5*F each week. Too much heat is as dangerous if not more so that too little heat. It is not an exact science. The correct temperature is a range, not a specific number. Anywhere in that range if great. I had the temperature right under the lamp at the right range in my 3' x 5' brooder when I put the chicks in, but the far corner was down to 70*F. The first few days the chicks pretty much stayed close to the lamp, but within three or four days they were wandering all over the brooder. This group of 17 are 4 weeks old today and all are thriving.

Maybe hang a feather duster or something similar so the chick can snuggle underneath. A plush toy can help. And a mirror in there will help the chick from being so lonely.

Good luck! A single chick is tough.

I, too, have a single chick in her own brooder (she's sick and had to be separated from the rest). The other suggestions of a feather duster or a stuffed animal are good; I also found chicks like a hot water bottle placed with a corner of it near where the light hangs down (so the water stays warm) - they'll snuggle up with/on that.
Just watch her behavior and move the heat lamp up or down accordingly.
Good luck.

when we were kids mum used to raise chickens with a hot water bottle wrapped in an old woolen jumper in a low box that she had stapled heaps of strips of wool jumper to the top of this was to replecate a mumma hen in body heat and feathers. the hot water bottle was monitored for temprature drops, I know one time she did the clay flowerpot with the 60watt globe in it but was frightened that there would be a fire.
The little brood box would then sit under the tile fire in the kitchen.

Hopes this helps your little one

I too had a lone chick...I solved my problem with a stuffed animal for a couple of days...You can always get a couple more chicks so he isn't lonely...

~Laura

yuckyuck.gif

Seriously though, thanks for the ideas. The temp has come up some in the brooder as the temp in the house has come up over the day. I think the temp is going to be alright, and I have to admit that the little one is getting a load of attention. The one year old lays on his side of the baby gate and just bables to it, and the chick stands as tall as he can streach his neck and chirps right back. I've been trying to cuddle him a bit so he's not too lonely during nap time.

One other question - he doesn't really stand up on his legs right now, should I be concerned about that, or will they strengthen up over time?

You could get him/her a mate. I've raised lone chicks before in knitted slippers and put stuffed chickies in with live chick. Also kept a light on the chick and a few times I got a another chick or two for warmth and being so small they cuddled and were all fine.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom