Keeping American Games / American Gamefowl as Yard Ornaments

Well, spring is in the air. Once the Solstace happens, I consider it to be Spring. It seems to be the trigger for action for the birds. My rooster tried to cover my laying pullets when I opened their coop this morning. Until today, he was just ,grumpley, trying to hit them. He has not crowed since the end of summer. Lol He is crowing now! And it's very good to hear him. I could tell the hens are getting ready to lay, so I've been waiting for today to happen. The laying hens roost in a coop, and the game chickens roost in the trees.

Solstice important here as well although low temperatures over-ride. Crowing never stops although is slows somewhat. Breeding does occur even now but actual reproductive out put is promoted by supplemental feeding. Free-range birds not fed complete diets not producing eggs while confined birds under more thermally neutral conditions with lots of feed are in lay and wanting to breed.

One of my biggest considerations is where the birds roost.

I have had them roost on the front porch, over grape arbor, in constructed roost, in various trees, on a motorcycle and in the garage; Their are challenges with each, Front porch is messy and risky without a dog. Grape arbor is just asking for attention by predators and burns plants with too much feces. Constructed roosts are hard to make pretty as they look like miniature water towers. Trees involve Great-horned Owls and occasionally a raccoon although dogs get latter pretty quick. Motorcycle is problematic when I get up at 0400 for work and seat gets messy as well. Favorite has been the garage although it has to be kept partially open and the birds do not deficate where I wan the them to.

Last edited:
Yes, they do prefer trees, but if you coop them for a week or two, you may persuade them to roost with the flock in there. Really helps if you can start them in there since chickhood. I have two game hens that I raised here. They like to alternate between the trees and the coop. Must depend on their mood. Their mother preferred the trees. She was killed on the ground, during the day, by a weasel. There are always going to be dangers of some sort.

Is it normal for games to roost in trees? If trained will they use a coop like other chickens?
I'm worried that when I get mine, if I free range them in the evening they'll try roosting outdoors

Do what is takes to keep them out of trees. Great-horned owls will be the biggest threat. The chickens might be safe if roosting in a dense cedar tree as owl will not want to actually get into it. You might consider constructing and elevated coop that has an opening in the bottom they can fly up into. Make so opening is at least 6 feet to keep out foxes. I have used a variety of designs so birds otherwise roost in an open field. They will need to be imprinted on location if they do not adopt it on their own. You do not want them to roost exposed on top.

Back
Top Bottom