Keeping American Games / American Gamefowl as Yard Ornaments

I added edits above. I agree with sdm that about average of an egg every other day but they come in spurts for a given hen. It can be hard to raise large numbers of young birds unless you have a barnyard covering several acres with several roosting sites and locations for broodies to locate their efforts.

When it comes to eating them, they pan-fry very well through about 12 weeks. I like to not over do the breading when pan-frying. Free-range kept you will notice meat quality differs markedly from typical meat birds, especially when later are heavily grain fed. Older birds we used more for chicken and dumplings or chicken soup.

I added edits above. I agree with sdm that about average of an egg every other day but they come in spurts for a given hen. It can be hard to raise large numbers of young birds unless you have a barnyard covering several acres with several roosting sites and locations for broodies to locate their efforts.

When it comes to eating them, they pan-fry very well through about 12 weeks. I like to not over do the breading when pan-frying. Free-range kept you will notice meat quality differs markedly from typical meat birds, especially when later are heavily grain fed. Older birds we used more for chicken and dumplings or chicken soup.

That sounds good to me. I intend on having a mix of birds so I should have more than enough meat and eggs. I like hardy breeds that can do a pretty good job taking care of themselves. Low input ya know. Meat for myself but also for any raptors/dogs I may have.

That sounds good to me. I intend on having a mix of birds so I should have more than enough meat and eggs. I like hardy breeds that can do a pretty good job taking care of themselves. Low input ya know. Meat for myself but also for any raptors/dogs I may have.

Something I have found that works well is to have some American Dominique hens as part of the flock. They produce eggs better and when bred to an American Game cock produce hybrids that are easily distinguished from hatch (and in the brown eggs) and they grow pretty good into meat birds that average a little heavier than the straight games. As broodies, older American Dominiques are descent but you could put their clutches under the game hens that are very good mothers. Barred Plymouth Rock and White Plymouth Rock hens produced even bigger young but I am not as confident in how many chicks you get to eating size. They also may require more feeding to get the growth realized. We did that off and on for many years. When you allow the hybrids of the latter to mature, they are very heavy birds relative to the games.

Something I have found that works well is to have some American Dominique hens as part of the flock. They produce eggs better and when bred to an American Game cock produce hybrids that are easily distinguished from hatch (and in the brown eggs) and they grow pretty good into meat birds that average a little heavier than the straight games. As broodies, older American Dominiques are descent but you could put their clutches under the game hens that are very good mothers. Barred Plymouth Rock and White Plymouth Rock hens produced even bigger young but I am not as confident in how many chicks you get to eating size. They also may require more feeding to get the growth realized. We did that off and on for many years. When you allow the hybrids of the latter to mature, they are very heavy birds relative to the games.

That may work. Im thinking of keeping some Cubalayas as well, given how hardy they supposedly are.

That may work. Im thinking of keeping some Cubalayas as well, given how hardy they supposedly are.

I know nothing of Cubalayas first hand although they are reputed to be good dual purpose free-range birds.. Reason I suggested the Dominique and Plymouth Rocks is you have numerous genetic markers for identification of crosses enabling you to keep game side pure if chicks raised to replace adult games. I am thinking sustainability. The Plymouth Rocks are easy to replace as well. I am not a fan of crossing things into games as that runs them.

I know nothing of Cubalayas first hand although they are reputed to be good dual purpose free-range birds.. Reason I suggested the Dominique and Plymouth Rocks is you have numerous genetic markers for identification of crosses enabling you to keep game side pure if chicks raised to replace adult games. I am thinking sustainability. The Plymouth Rocks are easy to replace as well. I am not a fan of crossing things into games as that runs them.

I see, so that would let me take larger meat/better laying birds without polluting the game lines?

And I think the dominiques are the one if I was to get them, personally. Sounds like a less resource intensive cross.

20181122_094252.jpg
20190112_145935.jpg

Attachments

• 20190112_144343.jpg
    20190112_144343.jpg
    313.6 KB · Views: 1

Back
Top Bottom