Keeping chickens cool in the summer?

When the temperature gets above 85 degrees, your birds need a way to get cool. They love water. I took the top from an old bird bath and put it in their run, kept it filled with water. They loved it. They would walk through the water or stand in the water. Standing in the water cooled their feet which helped cool their bodies. If your chickens are holding their wings away from their body, they are really overheated and trying their best to cool themselves. Be sure they have shade. Plenty of fresh water to drink. I even put a box fan on the outside of their run during the hottest days so there was a breeze for them.
Cold watermelon is another great way to cool them. They love the treat and it is good for them. I would put a half one in their run and it would be all gone by evening. Put water in a 2 liter drink bottle, freeze them, and put them in the run. They will gather around it and cool themselves and the ground around the bottle. The bottles can be refrozen over and over. I hope this helps give you some ideas.

I place small kiddie pools inside their run full of water. they stand in it to cool off. I also have boards leaning against the side in a few places for them to be in the shade. I have 14 birds at this time.

We do have a run area and a coop that they can always access (except at night)
Here is a picture of the coop:

The part with the lattice is their run area. It is fully predator proof under, over, and on the sides.
I plan to help build a chicken tractor within the next month I think, but we can't free range until we do because of hawks and other sky predators. I just need some help on how to keep them cool in the interim. Any help appreciated.
smile.png

Cute coop

I have tubs if water for them....unable to free range due to being too close to the fields and the risk of coyotes, kit foxes, and stray dogs/cats.....but they have a large coop next to trees and a canopy.....the frozen milk jugs sound like a good idea....might have to try that...

When my friend Jackie moved away, she was selling her water cooler. I bought it for $50...at the time I didn't think much about it. My first thought was to use it on our back deck, which is very hot during the summer months. We don't really sit out there much during the summer. My second thought, which was a great idea, was to use the water cooler for my chickens. I put water in the lower pan (refill as needed) and turn it on. They hang out right in front of it and move back and forth towards other parts of the run when they choose. It's been one of the best garage sale items that I've come across. This is our third year to use it and when it gives out, I'll get another one!

Back
Top Bottom