Keeping dogs out

Obviously whatever solution you decide to go with you will ask your neighbour to contribute to the costs.... after all it is THEIR dog...

I thought I would post an update to this dog saga. The whole thing has been a mess and it came to an unfortunate ending.

I considered the dog owners my friends. But after several years of continuous killing of my birds, there was no end in site. I tried every avenue of communication to no avail. I even called the county. Because we are rural, animal control just said that "you live in the country, if a dog is killing your livestock you have the right to shoot it". I spent hundreds of dollars in fence repair and reinforcement turning my fence into Ft. Knox, and the dog still tore the fence up.

I felt helpless. I kept having to pick up my dead birds over and over. I called repeatedly and while they said they would do something about it, years went by and nothing was done. After the dog killed nearly $2,000.00 in birds - I warned the owners that I would be using deadly force if this continued. Unfortunately - that is what ended up happening. I am so angry that I was pushed to that point. Of course our "friendship" is over. They are angry. I get it. But after several years and a couple of thousand dollars in bird loss - enough was enough. I spent tons of time and money on protecting my property, they should have been responsible and kept their dog up. Obviously they put no value on my feelings for my chickens, or the loss of my pets.

Since this situation came to it's unfortunate end, I have not lost a single bird. I wish people would keep their animals under control and in their own yard.

$2,000!!!
th.gif
Wouldn't have taken me that long to resolve the issue. From your handle I'm assuming that you are in Texas. Here's a link to the relevant statute:

http://www.animallaw.info/statutes/stustxhealth_s_822_013.htm

Take particular note of Sec. (c) where it says "and all damage done by the dog..."

On a related note, it sounds to me as if your friendship was rather one sided.

Yeah - I think that the friendship was very one sided. It just took me a while to finally get it. I never got nasty about my animals being killed. I always tried to be nice and civil - and talk to them. I always tried to ask nicely for them to keep their dog out of my yard and away from my flock. But when the tables turned they got really ****** off.

Yeah - the dollar amount blows my mind too. I've learned my lesson about being the nice person. You just get walked all over by people who don't give a hoot, and then get really mad.

And yes - I've seen that legislation that says that the dog owner is responsible for all damages...

Last edited:
Their animal will be gone on their second visit if they come to my place.... unfortunately some people can only understand when they're shown the same courtesy they're giving you.

Their animal will be gone on their second visit if they come to my place.... unfortunately some people can only understand when they're shown the same courtesy they're giving you.

Unfortunately that is the way it has to be. Your signature says it all "The difference between pets and pests is only on which side of the fence they're standing... keep your animals in your own property."

I realize that there will be instances where dogs will get out, things happen. I know that having poultry means that I will loose some to predators. But when it becomes habitual and routine that a single owned animal is killing someone's livestock and pets - the dog owner should be respectful enough to be proactive and correct the situation.

The whole thing is just so unfortunate. For the mass numbers of my animals that were killed, and for the dog who was allowed to roam and do so much damage.

Back
Top Bottom