Keeping Fish

I wouldn't pay more then thirty dollars for a good, healthy, beta, even show stock. They just have too short of a lifespan even when taken care of correctly. And if they are your first betas, let alone fish, I wouldn't invest more then ten dollars to start. Good luck!

What is your favorite betta type? My nearest petCo has so many bettas... I don't really like marbled or the faded colored ones, they just don't seem appealing to me (sorry just my opinion). Of all the colors, patterns and fin shapes, what is your favorite? I'll never be able to choose one favorite type, but I do have my preferences
1f60a.png

I wouldn't pay more then thirty dollars for a good, healthy, beta, even show stock. They just have too short of a lifespan even when taken care of correctly. And if they are your first betas, let alone fish, I wouldn't invest more then ten dollars to start. Good luck!
I am lucky to live in Thailand where they have huge beta fish farms.

They only cost less that one British Pound... not sure what that is in dollars. I have a pond with lots of female beta in and a few males. I like the half moon types best... don't like the long finned ones as they look ragged.

Also bright red or shiny blue / purple ones look to best to me.

I have the luxury of keeping around 10 bettas, I like the half moons for shape, with color I always pick what I don't have at the time, I have a couple of pretty blue and white ones, and anything that looks purple. I prefer colors where I can see their faces more clearly. In the end they all have different personalities, I do enjoy watching a bettas chase away full grown Angel fish because they have a lot of spunk.

Reds blues and purples seem to be desired by most of you
smile.png
I too love the healthy looking, solid red bettas; it's a dominant factor, though, so I'd have to breed them only with other dominant colors to produce 50/50. That includes opaque(white), green(turquoise to green), and steel/royal blue. When it comes time that I chose bettas, I'll start with one or two. They'll be in that color range. I'll upgrade to things like green, yellow, orange and black when I can take on the responsibility of more fish.

I have about 10 Beta fish in this small pond I made.. males and females... they seem to have enough space to not tight.. they all get together at feeding time.. but after that they go to their own areas.. guess they have sorted out some kind of pecking order.

They share the pond with sword tails, platys, mollies, and Siamese algae eaters.

I have about 10 Beta fish in this small pond I made.. males and females... they seem to have enough space to not tight.. they all get together at feeding time.. but after that they go to their own areas.. guess they have sorted out some kind of pecking order. They share the pond with sword tails, platys, mollies, and Siamese algae eaters.
very nice, I have read that a male betta will claim a territory, nice to see it in action.

Jak, do these betas get along with the community fish? Also, what temperature is the water in your pond? Thanks for the info!
They get along great.. the other fish don't bother the betas and the betas don't bother the other fish.. they ignore each other most of the time.

My beta are the shape with short round tails... not the long flowing tails... maybe the community fish would nip at long finned beta?

I don't know what the temperature is.. I live in Thailand so is their natural home... The daytime air temp is mostly about 35 degrees C, so the water must be not much cooler.

Back
Top Bottom