Keeping Fish

Yeah, just like the breeder box next to it. I plan on getting at least one other male and female, and I have them in mind already. I'll switch out Cleo with the new male, and add her and the new female to the open part of the tank with Jane Doe. Hopefully I can get a five gallon for spawning. Does anyone know the average number of fry that actually make it to adulthood?

Sorry about that Leaf... Some people put a net/tent or bars(to sit or walk on) over their ponds. Some even put the net directly on the surface of the water so it's barely noticeable. I hope you find a solution that fits you and your pond. Good luck:)
I added a plastic critter container with holes into my tank, Monroe wasn't looking too well and I thought I'd give him some personal space. Cleo is now next door to John Doe in the breeder box, and he's enjoying the company. Hopefully by the time Cleo heals I'll have more females and hideouts. 

I set up a net directly over the surface. Bird has been back, but to no avail. I let my guard down because of the trellis over the pond. I'll be ordering some sunfish soon, and maybe a BB gun if this continues.

Regards,
Leaf

Edited for spelling

Last edited:
Yeah, just like the breeder box next to it. I plan on getting at least one other male and female, and I have them in mind already. I'll switch out Cleo with the new male, and add her and the new female to the open part of the tank with Jane Doe. Hopefully I can get a five gallon for spawning. Does anyone know the average number of fry that actually make it to adulthood?

I'm basing this off of live bearers, but I would say at most 20%. More like 10 or even 5%. But the fittest survive and you end up with the healthiest fry. There's a reason why the fish have so many fry each time.

Regards,
Leaf

I'm actually hoping that I have a low survival rate, just for the first spawn, because I'm just starting and it will be hard to rehome a hundred bettas! At most twenty, mostly females, would be fine for me(it's temporary until they're rehomed). Once I get the male and female I'm interested in, I'll have the pairs for my dad's line and your line. If Monroe doesn't get better to spawn, I'll have to pair the female with John Doe. Though his fins have mostly straightened out, his ventrals and fin edges are still curled. I really hope it's not genetic, because I don't want to have to rehome a bunch of bad finned bettas; who will buy them? So I'm keeping my fingers crossed on Monroe's condition/John Doe's genetics.

I'm actually hoping that I have a low survival rate, just for the first spawn, because I'm just starting and it will be hard to rehome a hundred bettas! At most twenty, mostly females, would be fine for me(it's temporary until they're rehomed). Once I get the male and female I'm interested in, I'll have the pairs for my dad's line and your line. If Monroe doesn't get better to spawn, I'll have to pair the female with John Doe. Though his fins have mostly straightened out, his ventrals and fin edges are still curled. I really hope it's not genetic, because I don't want to have to rehome a bunch of bad finned bettas; who will buy them? So I'm keeping my fingers crossed on Monroe's condition/John Doe's genetics.

Thank you so much for considering me, but please don't let my preferences make anything hard. I will take any healthy fish if I have the room. Believe me, you're not going to have hundreds of Bettas survive from spawns. If the Bettas even hatch a hundred eggs, which is highly unlikely in itself, then the chances of more than ten surviving is quite low, so don't worry. But they spawn quickly and a the females are constantly becoming gravid. :)

Regards,
Leaf

How is everyone? Haven't lost any more fish to the heron, though I lost a prized breeder Molly yesterday... Quite a let down considering my plans for breeding her to my newest Dalmatian Molly. Fry are doing well. I stocked up on breeders recently, and my next order will be sunfish and maybe some Goldies though I'm thinking I'll hold off on more for now.

Regards,
Leaf

One of my older larger goldfish has Dropsy, getting to look like a balloon, still eats well though. I haven't tried any treatments because I believe it's a self limiting systemic thing, not sure if it will eventually suffocate. It's been slowly getting bigger since last fall, it's scales are starting to stick up now. I did lose a betta and two angel fish from my tank heaters quitting a few weeks ago. I also took down a 29 gallon, now only running 5 tanks.

Sorry to hear about your goldfish, Leaf. I've lost a few to herons over the years. During the last week, I've had a couple of different species of the long-legged waders checking out the pond in my horse paddocks (actually a huge puddle from ridiculous amounts of rain) and I figure it's just a matter of time before they find the plastic pool where the goldfish are. I'm on the horns of a dilemma there - I'd like to protect the fish, but we have frogs that breed in that pool, too, so I need to come up with a means of giving them access to the water while keeping the birds out. I'd also prefer that it not visually dominate the landscape, if you know what I mean.

Bummer about the molly - having the keystone of a planned breeding die is always frustrating and discouraging, even if you don't get particularly attached to them as personalities.

One of my older larger goldfish has Dropsy, getting to look like a balloon, still eats well though. I haven't tried any treatments because I believe it's a self limiting systemic thing, not sure if it will eventually suffocate. It's been slowly getting bigger since last fall, it's scales are starting to stick up now. I did lose a betta and two angel fish from my tank heaters quitting a few weeks ago. I also took down a 29 gallon, now only running 5 tanks.

So sorry old hen. Hate when these things happen. None of my goldfish have come down with it yet, but I'm sure I'll eventually have to deal with it. My heaters seemed to be quitting constantly. It was a consistent cycle until I stepped up and found a new system that has worked well so far. How did you lose your betta? Old age? Sorry for your loss.

Regards,
Leaf

Edited for grammar :)

Last edited:
Sorry to hear about your goldfish, Leaf. I've lost a few to herons over the years. During the last week, I've had a couple of different species of the long-legged waders checking out the pond in my horse paddocks (actually a huge puddle from ridiculous amounts of rain) and I figure it's just a matter of time before they find the plastic pool where the goldfish are. I'm on the horns of a dilemma there - I'd like to protect the fish, but we have frogs that breed in that pool, too, so I need to come up with a means of giving them access to the water while keeping the birds out. I'd also prefer that it not visually dominate the landscape, if you know what I mean.

Bummer about the molly - having the keystone of a planned breeding die is always frustrating and discouraging, even if you don't get particularly attached to them as personalities.

I covered mine with a couple layers of bird netting, which the heron cannot stand on, but is nearly invisible when on the surface of the water. The fish can eat and be fed through it, and I'm sure frogs could get in through the large holes as well. The oxygenating fountains also go right through it. But maybe a fence would be more practical in the long run.

Regards,
Leaf

Back
Top Bottom