Keeping peacocks fenced in a pasture

Absolutely!!! I do it when they're 18 weeks when they first free range so they don't fly over the fences. Then never again. They moult, end up with all their feathers but their brain never asks them to fly (except to get on their roost). Chickens are so easy compared to guineas and peacocks!!!! But the peacocks were a gift to my daughter from my dad after my mom died (we cared for my mom at home with Alzheimers, she died at home with us and it was really hard on my 13 year old daughter). So we love the peacocks and are glad we have them, but they're a little less predicatable.
Aww that wonderful I got my peacock from my parents friends!!

As someone who works hard for EVERY thing I have including my vehicles and the roof on my house and my personal animals bio security.. I FEEL the neighbors concern and it's completely valid regardless of agriculture zoning.. your land is your land and if it's on my land then I have the right to do as I see fit according to the law! Including harvest, dispatch, turn into animal control, etc. :hmm

I value and appreciate your intent to be a good neighbor and do everything you can to make that happen regardless of how long it took them to put together the courage to approach you. Thank YOU! :highfive:

Peafowl are a huge problem for residents in Southern California where they're protected and live IN city limits of Pasadena (I believe).

Wing clipping.. Clipping one wing limits how far they fly in a straight line.. CLOSE bilateral clip of BOTH wing removes BOOST. This is according to MY reality/experience and NOT what I read.

If I were using a net or other cover for the run I wouldn't thing wing clipping would be beneficial. But now I realize maybe that was extending fence height and maybe not actually fully covering a whole section for them?? In which case.. reference the boost noted above. perhaps.

Even with boost removed, it's surprising how high these buggers can jump! Have you already seen how high they just hop easily? Hopefully you will get it figured out in a manner that still feels comfortable for YOU and them. :fl

Please note that on ONE acre with 4 foot fences.. I've only ever had to clip 3 chicken's wings that insisted on exploring further, out of hundreds! In those instance.. keeping them inside my fence WAS the best predator protection I could provide.. and stopping them from teaching that behavior to others is pertinent as there WERE followers. Stopping the ring leader was sufficient! You clearly understand the challenges of different species.. chickens are the easier than turkeys too. And I'm not gonna lie, I've been thinking peafowl are pretty eventually.. Your post though is a good reminder of why it might be good to stay in my own lane and recognize MY limits. :thumbsup

I WONDER.. if that neighbor's daughter doing *something* to detour them enjoying HER place.. like LIGHTLY turn a water hose/sprinkler on them, maybe go out and use a garden blower to make annoying noise, or something LIKE that which isn't harmful but does help establish a different habit/behavior/routine for your peafowl?

My apologies for any statement that came across as callous or not caring, I assure you that is not the case. Aging parents, grieving children, and things that really hurt the heart are things I feel matter MUCH more than worry of damaged possessions! Thank you for sharing your story and challenge with us. :hugs

If you would care to post any photos in honor of your Moms' life.. of your fowl, your daughter, your parents, or pets etc.. I also enjoy names for some reason if your so inclined to share them. :cool:

Pets are protected by federal law via the animal cruelty act. No one has the right to kill, injure or maim your pets even if they are off of your property. I would never clip a birds wing as you are removing its only chance to protect itself by fleeing danger. I hope you can cover your grazing area with netting to keep your pets home.

Clipping wings is not animal cruelty. They grow back like hair. Actually wings are not there only protection. They use there spurs to damage predators and make there self bigger by puffing up and chasing. My peacock use to beat me up with his spurs and do they hurt I even got an infection from it. There spurs are highly painful!! HE is FAST!! Always use to chase me down!!

Last edited:
Pets are protected by federal law via the animal cruelty act. No one has the right to kill, injure or maim your pets even if they are off of your property.
Dispatching a predator including things like PET dogs going after livestock super-cedes pet laws all day every day and is NOT considered animal cruelty. As a poultry keeper.. other fowl not protected by law the way raptors are would be considered fair game on my property.

Pet laws also require detainment of the pet on the part of the pet owner to THEIR property and NOT to be AT LARGE.. MAYBE spreading parasites, disease, etc and reeking havoc on other local wildlife populations.

Live trapping and detaining.. and not checking your traps often IS animal cruelty.

Flight are ONE tool for protection.. They can also hide, bite, claw, flog, flee, intimidate, have flight enclosures, and be sheltered within personal fences.. Biggest threat to peas here would be roaming domestic dog OUTSIDE my fence. Or maybe even the two leggeds called greedy humans. Hiding or blending is even why they are camouflaged better as youngsters while they gain strength and knowledge of the local environment.. obviously taught better in nature than by us, but usually well ingrained somehow in the hormonal phases of growing up.. are the weariness and confidence, and predator awareness.

I'm super excited that laws are starting to reflect that all life is to be valued even those pets seen by the law as personal property as well as those being raised for food.. can not just be treated with utter cruelty with no accountability. :yesss: (in THEORY, ugh)

I'm not trying to disagree with you or be ugly here, sincerely. You obviously have different fowl experience than I do, and I'm paying attention to everything so I can learn from and share it even if I don't agree with it being my way.. Now I wouldn't share something I thought was harmful and would even likely say something about it.. I'm just trying to say, I don't mean to be calling you out or nasty, I value and appreciate your input enough to have a conversation with you! :highfive:

There is a big difference between a pet visiting another person's property and a pet running amok on a killing spree. One deserves love and respect and the other a bullet.
I hope chickens are protected by this animal cruelty law. 🥺 Chickens deserve to be protected they have special personalty and emotions they feel emotions. Chickens are like a feathered version of a cat or a dog.

Back
Top Bottom