Keeping rabbits and chickens together!?!

Hi, I don't know everything about chickens and bunnies. I have had my hens for over a year and my bunnies only a few months. I have a coop for the chickens on one side of a large treedfenced chicken yard and a large rabbit hutch (2 feet off the ground) in the middle of the yard. In the morning I let them all out and in the evening I put them all up in their respective locked sleeping cages. They seem to get along fine. Every now and then a hen will give one of the bunnies a peck, nothing hard and not often and less and less as time goes on. Right now everyone is very healthy. The bunnies are very hard to catch at night so every now and then I leave them in their hutch during the day. They haven't tried to dig out yet. They seem happy with the situation and I love to watch the bunnies stretch, hop, zig zag, flip, run and play. I haven't noticed the bunnies eating the chicken food. I don't use medicated chicken feed, but the bunnies have plenty of bunny food and hay which they prefer. Also, they can jump into their hutch during the day if they want to and sometimes they do.

I let my rabbits out daily for a run around the coop. Sometimes, I'll take them out to play in the pen, but only 2 or 3 at a time since the fence isn't dug.

I'm seriously considering turning a portion of the coop - or even the run - into a rabbit colony. We put a lot of money and effort into the cages, but it's really quite messy and awfully constraining for the rabbits. At the end of a play session, they are very insistent on staying out. The big concern, for me, is the over-breeding of the does.

T
I also have two dwarf rabbits (mini-rex & Holland lop) and keep them outside in the coop area. The rabbit hutch/run and chicken coop/run are separate, but they can see each other during the day when the chickens come down from the roost...
I have some pictures on my coop page:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/coop-hotel

That is so cool. What a beautiful multi purpose setup!! Since my last post, my rabbit did dig out of the yard. Apparently was using her tunnel regularly to play in the neighbor's newly landscaped yard. I filled the hole with cement. It was hidden behind the chicken coops. I ended up rehoming the rabbits because they were very aggressive and large. We traded them for small gentle rabbits. My hutch is very humble. These bunnies haven't been loose in the yard with the chickens yet, they are too small, but the one year old spends the day on a corral in the chicken yard and nights on her hutch.

Year old rabbit in corral with chicken dust bathing near by.

Big hutch with chickens underneath.

If you are going to keep them together give them seperate food, otherwise the chickens will fight over the food by pecking the rabbit

Back
Top Bottom