Keeping the water clean

as long as they can't fall in, and you can keep it full. I have the waterer in the coop. and a feed bucket/pail in the chicken yard. It is only about six inches deep and I dump it and refill it everyday. It is up on pavers too so they won't wade in it.

Quote:

x4 keeps algae down much cleaner
smile.png

X5

We use a nipple waterer system. We have a hose from our outside house tap to a 5 gallon bucket that is hung in a tree next to the coop. The bucket is fitted with a toilet floater valve to keep the water from overflowing the bucket (turns water off when the level in the bucket is reached). Then we have tubing running from the bucket to nipples, available on Ebay or FarmTek. The nipples are attached inside the coop and in the run. This way the girls always have clean and fresh water. And I love not having to clean dirty waterers or worry that they are out of water when we are away for a few days. We have had this system in place for about a year now and it works really well.

Another option if you have a small flock - I use a large Lixit water bottle as a backup to my plumbed waterer. The girls learned how to use it within minutes, and sometimes I think they prefer it because it does stay cleaner than the other waterer.

Quote:
x4 keeps algae down much cleaner
smile.png

X5

That's exactly what I do and from time to time I do add a splash of vinegar. It does seem to keep it clear longer.

Because I have moved from raising homing pigeons, I had one of these waterers in my loft. I cut the holes bigger on two sides, set it up on landscaping timbers, and no more dirt. I have 29 chicks and it will last them three days in the hot weather we have been having. I change it at the end of the 2nd day. I will have to get something bigger when they are grown, but this gave me time to figure out what I will do then.

0468%20thru%200471%20DURABLE%20ONE.JPG

I actually use an automatic dog waterer I got for a buck at a yard sale. I have to get a couple concrete blocks to set it on though. When it's really hot, before I go to bed I'll bring in the water jug, fill it about half way and stick it in the freezer. In the morning I fill it the rest of the way with freshe water. That wa it keeps it cool too.

Back
Top Bottom