Keet with enlarged head?

ya, its pretty weird. I know a lot of people with that problem but they werent born that way.
big_smile.png

I dont think i would if its eating and playing with them. as long as they are in a coop together. Now if you have adults with them I would be nervous that it would get pecked.

celebrate.gif
This girls got connections !!! casportpony, I was reading about emphysema from eggsessive and it showed a silkie with a place on its head ??

I doubt that this would be a leaking air sac, since there aren't any in the head. But some silkies and some polish have the vaulted skulls which can be injured, so swelling might be possible. There is a disease called swollen head syndrome, which is an infectious disease, so I doubt it is that. I certainly hope that your keet gets better and survives. Below is some info on swollen head syndrome and a picture of birds' air sacs:

Swollen Head Syndrome

Synonyms: Facial cellulitis, thick head, Dikkop, SHS
Species affected: Chickens and turkeys are the known natural hosts. Experimentally, guinea fowl and pheasants are susceptible but pigeons, ducks, and geese are resistant to the infection. SHS does not presently occur in the United States, but is present in most countries of the world.
Clinical signs: In chicks and poults, there is initial sneezing, followed by reddening and swelling of the tear ducts and eye tissue. Facial swelling will extend over the head and down the jaw and wattles. Adult chickens have mild respiratory disease followed by a few birds having swollen heads. Other signs include disorientation, twisting of the neck, and a significant drop in egg production (see Table 1).
Transmission: The infection spreads by direct contact with infected birds or indirectly by exposure to infectious material.
Treatment: There is no proven medication for swollen head syndrome. The disease is caused by a virus classified as a pneumovirus. A disease closely mimicking SHS is caused by a mixed infection of respiratory viruses and specific bacteria. Antibiotic therapy may be helpful against the bacterial component.
Prevention: A commercial vaccine is available. Swollen head syndrome is considered an exotic disease and a live vaccine is not approved for use in the United States.

ill_bird_airsacs.gif
ill_bird_airsacs2.gif

Back
Top Bottom