KEFIR - who makes it, drinks it, and/or feeds it to their chickens?

Curdled means it set to long for the temp. I'd put it in that spot until correct consistency. Then strain the grains out and put in milk in fridge until time to put back in the warm spot.

It's about 65 on average in my house and 24 hours on the counter does good. In summer temps are to warm for that time frame.

I tasted it yesterday before it got to the curdled stage and it was horrible. It tastes like yeast and just really bad. And it's not thickened at all. I just don't get it.

I understand that curdled and separated means it cultured too long. I removed half of the grains and tried with less grains, more milk and still got the same results.
Maybe I'm expecting it to taste more like plain yogurt??? The consistency is more like plain milk with a packet of yeast added. I just can't figure this stuff out but am too stubborn to give up.

It shouldn't taste like yeast and it should be thicker than milk. Mine isn't quite yogurt taste, but you can tell it's in the same family. Once I add a bit of jam and mix, it does taste like flavored yogurt though.

It's possible you have a bad strain of grains. I had a friend who ordered some and never liked the result.

I tasted it yesterday before it got to the curdled stage and it was horrible. It tastes like yeast and just really bad. And it's not thickened at all. I just don't get it.

I understand that curdled and separated means it cultured too long. I removed half of the grains and tried with less grains, more milk and still got the same results.
Maybe I'm expecting it to taste more like plain yogurt??? The consistency is more like plain milk with a packet of yeast added. I just can't figure this stuff out but am too stubborn to give up.

Yeah, it sounds like you have a bad starter. Kefir is a family of microorganisms and it could possible change into something different over time, or perhaps it just got damaged in shipping. Kefir has both yeasts and lactic acid bacteria and it sounds like the yeasts are predominating. Lactic acid bacteria are the ones that make the sour yogurt-like flavors. You could also try one of the powdered kefir starters sometimes available in health food stores. Look for it in the yogurt section next to the powdered yogurt starter.

Can someone lend some advice on milk kefir making? I'm about to throw my grains away....I'm so frustrated.
I've been trying to make kefir for about 4 weeks. Either nothing happens at all or it curdles and separates. I've had it on the counter, in the oven with the light on and now on my cable box in attempts keep it at proper temp.
I've had several online chats with the company I bought it from and their suggestions have not helped.
I'm using skim milk but have also tried with whole. I'm not using ultra pasteurized.
nab58-My kefir grains were VERY yeasty at first.
If you have had the grains for four weeks and have changed out the milk type and location several times you may not have given your grains time to readjust to each change. I have found that the grains take at least a week to readjust to a change in milk type (sometimes even brand), and it seems like you have moved them around some as well. My house temp fluctuates because we heat with a wood stove, I haven't found temp to be that big an issue.
Before you throw them out try picking a milk type, a "spot" (making sure it's out of direct sunlight), and keep it consistent for at least two weeks. Make sure you strain them at the same time each day consistently. I have not found that grains do well long term with skim milk. To get them going I would suggest a half/half or whole milk with some cream added in. They love the fat and will grow this way. After you stabilize them, then try cutting back to whole and then 2%. I would probably not do more than a few ferments in skim milk without going back to whole for a few. They seem to do better with the fat. Make sure you are doing an aerobic ferment..no tight lid...use a ring/rubber band and paper towel or cheesecloth so they breathe. (I heard one company was sending out grains and telling people it was an anaerobic ferment??) The second ferment is anaerobic, but not the first. It should have the consistency of slightly runny yogurt, smooth and slightly...for lack of a better analogy...egg white like or even snotty. That is the kefiran and is good.
When you strain the grains and put them back in a bottle, make sure you rinse it out to make sure there is no soap residue. I use the same bottle, rinsing it out with hot water and then rinsing with RO (bottled spring water works too) as the grains don't like chlorine/fluoride/ or soft water. About one or two teaspoons will kefir about 2 pints to a quart of milk.
I don't know if I have said anything helpful or not. I hope so! :)
If you are consistent for a couple of weeks and find you are still not having good luck try Facebook...Wild Fermentation https://www.facebook.com/groups/WlidFermentation/ or Kefir grains, scobys and others to share https://www.facebook.com/groups/181445115312844/
They will send you grains for the price of shipping and then you know you are getting tried and true grains.

Last edited:
Thanks for your reply and all the info.
I'm still fermenting in skim milk and feeding the kefir to my hens. The taste , to me, is horrible. Of course, the grains have grow to about 1 cup and I'm adding that to about a cup or so of milk. I think there's way too much grains for the amt of milk I'm using so I bottom surprised it tastes bad. The chickens love it though I just can't drink the stuff. It's too bad. I'm not picky or squeamish normally and really looked forward to making my own kefir. I have digestive issues that could benefit from healthy bacteria. I just can't stomach the stuff....yuck!

Hi, just wondering how you feed the kefir to your chickens. Do you mix it with grain or just put it in a bowl and let them drink it up?

Kefir does have a strong taste. I use it in a smoothie. Try it with mango and a bit of sweetener, it's surprisingly tasty! Also good with strawberries. I use frozen fruit :)

Hi, just wondering how you feed the kefir to your chickens.  Do you mix it with grain or just put it in a bowl and let them drink it up?

I would do either. Sometimes I'd mix it with bread or their pellets. Sometimes I'd just give it to them in a bowl. When I finally threw out the kefir grains I fed them to the birds in small batches. You can mix it with your fermented feed too.

ok a simple question but can I buy a bottle of kefir at the healthfood store and use it to start my own kefir ? I did buy organic yougert and added it to my raw grass fed milk and now have a steady supply of fresh drinkable yougert

Back
Top Bottom