KEFIR - who makes it, drinks it, and/or feeds it to their chickens?

ok a simple question but can I buy a bottle of kefir at the healthfood store and use it to start my own kefir ? I did buy organic yougert and added it to my raw grass fed milk and now have a steady supply of fresh drinkable yougert

No. The kefir stuff at the store isn't really the same as real kefir. To make the store stuff they just use specific bacteria. Real kefir has to be make from kefir grains which kind of look like spongy cauliflower. Off white and chewy. You just strain them out and add them to fresh milk. You can order grains off amazon. You won't get much, but it grows pretty quick and you'll have enough in a few weeks to make it quickly.

thank you I will check for the grains on amazon...I have a standing order for 2 gallons of raw milk every 2 weeks...I have been drinking homemade drinkable yogurt made from it but understand the kefir is better nutrition and probiotic wise.

When I do kefir I generally put some wax paper under a lid, this way, if it gets bumped, it wont get soaked and fall into the kefir like a paper towel would.

When I do kefir I generally put some wax paper under a lid, this way, if it gets bumped, it wont get soaked and fall into the kefir like a paper towel would.
You mean when you have it sitting out on a countertop? I am just curious
i saw suggested to use a rubberband and a coffee filter.
also talked to the lady that runs the membership store that we get stuff from. She traded some quail eggs for 4 kefir starts.
The siily lady called clabbered milk kefir grains...... I told her she got cheated...I would be PO...
I am glad I didnt buy any when the health food store was selling her "kefir starts"
thanks

Did you try Craigs list. I finally got a GENEROUS kind someone to send me some. But it was like a 1/4tsp and I couldnt find them when straining. So I gave up on them after several weeks....it was hard to seperate it from the cream of the milk... Duh
I need at least a heaping tablespoon.

You mean when you have it sitting out on a countertop? I am just curious
i saw suggested to use a rubberband and a coffee filter.
also talked to the lady that runs the membership store that we get stuff from. She traded some quail eggs for 4 kefir starts.
The siily lady called clabbered milk kefir grains...... I told her she got cheated...I would be PO...
I am glad I didnt buy any when the health food store was selling her "kefir starts"
thanks
Yes, I have it n the counter top but if I go on vacation I'll put it into the fridge. The reduced temperature makes it work slower.

Back
Top Bottom