Kentucky people

I am in lexington, my chickens didn't like yesterday's 2" of snow, suspect the 8 to 18 expected tomorrow will really freak them out. plan on tarping part of their run tonight to give them a little more snow free space.

I am in Barbourville, about an hour and a half from Lexington. We got about 3 inches of snow, but other nearby areas got upwards of 4-6". I too am dreading this winter storm coming in the next few days. Luckily my nursing classes were cancelled and I don't have to work again until Sunday, but my husband is going to have to work late today so it's looking like I have to feed this evening. Not an easy task when you have roughly 200+ head of chickens, and only 2 out of those are free ranging hens we haven't caught up yet. The majority of our birds are American Games so they have to be individually penned, 1 rooster to 1-2 hens. Extra stags/cocks that are not used for breeding are kept tethered by leg hitches/cords to individual barrels so feeding them takes a while, and will be worse in the snow. Spring cannot come soon enough!
barnie.gif

I have 9 total, 8 hens and a rooster. 4 buff orpingtons that are grown and the rest are 9 weeks old. A rhode island red, barred rock, australorp, Cornish cross and a jersey giant roo.

It looks like I'm getting some Black Copper Maran hatching eggs soon. I have to buy 12 minimum, but don't need that many. Anyone in or near Georgetown/Lexington want to split the order with me? They're $4 an egg and I'm picking them up in Corinth.

It looks like I'm getting some Black Copper Maran hatching eggs soon. I have to buy 12 minimum, but don't need that many. Anyone in or near Georgetown/Lexington want to split the order with me? They're $4 an egg and I'm picking them up in Corinth.

My friendly advice, especially with BCM eggs, is don't count your chicks until they hatch. BCM can be difficult to hatch, even for experienced hatchers. :)

My friendly advice, especially with BCM eggs, is don't count your chicks until they hatch. BCM can be difficult to hatch, even for experienced hatchers. :)

Very true! BCM eggs are by far the most difficult I have incubated. Their shells are thicker and the dark coating prevents them from losing adequate humidity if you incubate at a standard humidity like you would with regular eggs. I have had great success with around a 30-40% humidity the first 18 days and upwards of 65-70% during lockdown. Watch your aircells closely and adjust humidity accordingly. If the eggs do not lose adequate moisture, there is less airspace in the aircell and thus the chick has less time to start pipping or it will run out of oxygen and suffocate. Also if they dont lose enough moisture and you have them in lockdown hatching on their sides, the excess egg contents and moisture can drown the chick as it pips if another chick bumps into the egg and rolls it so the pip side turns downward. The gooey egg contents ooze toward the bottom and the chick aspirates and drowns on it. I have started hatching in cartons upright with aircell end up and have had great results. Just cut holes in the bottom of the carton where each egg sits to allow for air circulation. Works great! Also hatch rates on shipped eggs are a far cry from 100%. You will be lucky if u get a 50% hatch rate as that seems about the average. The shipping process can damage eggs even if they appear intact on the outside. I would get the full dozen and try not to expect any more than half to hatch, if that. Its a gamble. And if u get lucky and you get a better hatch rate, u an always sell the extras. Good luck!!

Back
Top Bottom