Kentucky people

Lol My husband and I live in the country on 7 archers and I decided insted of paying for 7 archers and just spend money mowing grass and doin nothing with the land I'm going to make it work for us. I may fall on my face but I'm going to give it a shot. Lol I Figuer a large garden, small flock of chickens and some bees would be a place to start.

Lol My husband and I live in the country on 7 archers and I decided insted of paying for 7 archers and just spend money mowing grass and doin nothing with the land I'm going to make it work for us. I may fall on my face but I'm going to give it a shot. Lol I Figuer a large garden, small flock of chickens and some bees would be a place to start.

Hello from central KY!
frow.gif
I'm with you on making the most of the grass out here - my rabbits mow and fertilize my pastures. I'm looking at adding some pasture-ready pigs soon, too. The chickens and ducks also graze and enjoy all those bugs, frogs, and any other critter small enough to swallow, and their egg yolks are already taking on a deeper orange color with the greater variety of forage available now.

I'm looking at beekeeping, myself...there are a number of introductory beekeeper courses/workshops offered locally: http://www.kyagr.com/Kentucky-AGNEWS/press-releases/Kentucky-beekeeping-schools-set-for-2017.html. If you haven't already seen it, there's a beekeeping thread on BYC, too: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/310974/a-bee-thread-for-those-interested-in-beekeeping.

Best wishes for your homesteading endeavors!

What type of chicks are you looking for, any particular breed? How far outside of Louisville are you, about a 2 hour drive I'm guessing?

Yes, almost exactly 2 hours. I'm not super picky on breeds, I just want to have a mixture. I already have 2x Dixie Rainbows (also called Pioneers), 3x silkies, a brown Leghorn, a Production red, a black astrolorp, and a Barred Plymouth Rock (all hens). I also have another BPR and an Easter Egger (both pullets) in the brooder.
I'm trying to stick with hens, but if I found a breed I couldn't live without, I would take a gamble on a straight run.

Some breeds on my wishlist are:

Cuckoo Marans
Lavender Orpington
Buff Orpington
Cochin
Speckled Sussex
Silver Laced (or Gold) Wyandottes
Brahmas
Legbar
Polish

Or any other pretty looking gals... or gals that lay colored/brown eggs!

I just put eggs in the incubator for the first time on the 1st. Does anyone have any tips? I got from dark brown to tan, white, green, and blue eyes in it. I don't know what kind of chickens they will be.

Back
Top Bottom