Kentucky people

Quote:
Howdy I have jumbos browns adult breeders/layers $5 each, 1 week old chicks $1.00. Hatching eggs $4 dz can ship eggs only or you can pickup in Mount Sterling.

Pop

Moonflowers, it is a little more reliable to look for the pointed saddle and neck feathers to determine the sex of the young chickens.......a hens feathers are round. The only breeds this doesn`t work on is Sebrights, Silkies and Campines. Jane

Good morning all!! I haven't been on here in a wile and I thought I would drop in and say hello!! hope everyone enjoys there holiday!
ep.gif
I have to work today! wish I could stay home and be with the family today.

Quote:
Some people came and bought some hens off of me and said they went, had a Silkie for $90, but thats all they said about it...I hadnt heard about it untill they said anything...where is it at? is it with the Reptile Show stuff?

Nate

I was there, and I am trying to remember, I think there was a pair of SQ white silkies for about $100? I thought it was a pair? I didn't look too closely, as I am not interested in whites. I know mine weren't anywhere near $90
lol.png
. Kids wound up buying all my chicks, so I lowered the price to almost nothing, and no one took the pair I had. Did sell a couple of extra hens that I had shown as well.

So yes, exhibitors can pay to sell birds at the show, both inside in sale cages, and outside from their vehicles. The show is the same weekend in May every year at the Fairgrounds there in town. Its a really nice show, nice people, very helpful to new people (like me
smile.png
) beautiful building, and over in 1 day unlike some I have been to watch. They did have a cooping in time on Friday, but you could wait until Saturday morning to get there if you wanted, and you could take your birds after it was over on Saturday afternoon instead of staying over to Sunday.

There was no charge for spectators and you could just walk around and look at all the kinds of birds and talk with people. I thought I remebered them having a food vendor there last year, but this year they just had some coolers and people could help themselves to a cold drink or coffee. They also have a Chinese auction which can be fun.

Here is their website, http://web.mac.com/rbennett57/Kentuckiana_Poultry_Show/Welcome.html If you haven't been and are close enough to go, it is a fun thing to do. Any more questions feel free to ask, I'll see what I can do to answer.

Thanks so much. I appreciate all the info. I live in the area, but I wasn't able to go this year because of a death in our family.

Well, I had a stealth butchering today
wink.png

My youngest is VERY picky about food, and I wasn't sure he would eat the chicken if he saw the carcass. (although he likes the cow we had butchered - but then, he didn't have to see the deed done - the kid is a germophobe).

So, I went out and got good old rooster and hung him up with zip ties under one of the cedar trees out back of the pasture - took me maybe a half hour tops - because I skinned him and just took the parts that were good for eating (I didn't get innards, this way, but next time I'll refine the process).

He is now nice and clean and marinating in a big baggie in the fridge in some cajun butter seasoned marinade stuff.

One down, two more to go. I think I'll see how well this one goes over with the guys first - then decide whether to bother butchering the other two hens or sell them to my neighbor (he already offered to buy them).

The poor donkeys came over for some lovin' and smelled that chicken blood, saw Mama with a machete in her hand and ran off. I hope I haven't traumatized them.

meri

Mojo Chick'n :

wink.png

My youngest is VERY picky about food, and I wasn't sure he would eat the chicken if he saw the carcass. (although he likes the cow we had butchered - but then, he didn't have to see the deed done - the kid is a germophobe).

So, I went out and got good old rooster and hung him up with zip ties under one of the cedar trees out back of the pasture - took me maybe a half hour tops - because I skinned him and just took the parts that were good for eating (I didn't get innards, this way, but next time I'll refine the process).

He is now nice and clean and marinating in a big baggie in the fridge in some cajun butter seasoned marinade stuff.

One down, two more to go. I think I'll see how well this one goes over with the guys first - then decide whether to bother butchering the other two hens or sell them to my neighbor (he already offered to buy them).

The poor donkeys came over for some lovin' and smelled that chicken blood, saw Mama with a machete in her hand and ran off. I hope I haven't traumatized them.

meri

you need to come visit us.....we have a few roos that need to go....lol​

Mrs. Turbo :

Mojo Chick'n :

wink.png

meri

you need to come visit us.....we have a few roos that need to go....lol​

I need to go shopping for a "strictly for butchering" knife. One I can hide from the kids and keep extra sharp. My mom had one years ago - she guarded that thing with her life
lau.gif
- I didn't understand why at the time. It looked wicked, too - had a thick curved blade and so sharp that just looking at it caused knicks in your fingers.

Hmmm... I wonder if she still has that old knife.....
wink.png

meri​

Well I have 2 more broody hens!!
barnie.gif
The millie girl I got from Cindy is officially broody, and one of last fall's pullets is as well. This leaves me with Nugget, the bantam cochins, and Big Bertha left to go broody. I didn't have the cochins last year, but I assume they will go broody. Nugget is last summer's baby, she is about 9 months old. She is OEGB, so she should go broody, not sure what her deal is. Big Bertha is dad's LF cochin hen, she brooded last fall, so she should. I don't even know where she is laying at. I guess if she disappears, then we'll know. Dad has a bantam EE hen that never went broody last year, and hasn't yet this year, so I don't know about her. The BTW japs are laying up a storm, but they're young, so it'll be a little while before they bite the bullet. So current broody count is:

4 broody silkies, with 11 chicks so far between them;
3 broody sebright mixes;
1 broody millie;
1 broody dutch;
1 broody something or another that is sharing babies and eggs with some of the silkies;

AND:
1 OEGB with 2 babies;
1 sebright mix with 3 babies;
1 OEG with 6 babies;
1 OEG with 12 babies;
1 dutch with 4 babies;
1 dutch with 6 babies;
1 something or another with 8 babies;

And i think that's it. Plus the broody duck and the broody guinea
th.gif
Two of my broodies have started laying again since hatching their chicks, possibly 3, cause I got a big white egg yesterday that looked an awful lot like my OEG hen's. So they will be going broody again in a few weeks, guess I need to be ordering me some eggs
big_smile.png

Shelley,

Got any white silkie pullets available? I just need one or two for the flock.

My baby bunnies are now 5 weeks old, when do I pull them from momma? I plan on building them a divided hutch this week so I don't have the babies breeding with each other or their momma.

Well my partridge silkie is setting on 12 eggs, and of course the OEGBs and the Millie are broody and still have just the one chick amongst them. One hen stays on the eggs and the other three take the baby out for a walk.

Back
Top Bottom