Kentucky people

They should have 5 I've read, though I have 9 ducks and 4 drakes in my flock and don't have too many problems. BUT they are all free range so they have plenty of room to stay out of each other's way. It's really cute how they pick 'mates'....everyone says ducks don't do that but they do. I have a pekin that has 2 pekin ladies, a runner that has 2 pekin ladies, and a rouen and another pekin that have 3 rouen ladies, 1 pekin lady, and 1 runner lady. If any of the other drakes go after a girl that's not 'his' she will fluff up and make all sorts of racket until her boy comes to rescue her
love.gif

We had a blast at the fair this year, we met some great people and did some shopping. We also joined the Bluegrass Poultry Association. We bought 2 Aurancanas and a silkie roo that my son had to have. We also bought a fancy new coop and can't wait for it to be delivered in 3 weeks, we have the ghetto coop right now and need more space desperately, unfortunately my husband is not into building stuff, so we just bought one ready to go.

My 9 year old son is dying to try showing chickens now and I am hoping it can be a positive experience for him. We are looking in 4H, but want to try some local shows. His favorite breed are silkies and I would like to find some show quality silkie hens for him to show. He would like a splash or something a little more unusual, we have 2 white and now a brown/black silkie but they are all just pet quality (but he loves them to death,so they are staying for now). He has some special needs, and could really use a confidence booster and something to teach him responsibility.

Also we have a small flock of 14 chickens, should we get NPIP certified? How do I go about doing this?

Back
Top Bottom