Kentucky people

Quote:
I tried to have a chickenstock/meet-and-greet here last year, but only one person from BYC showed up (and she's here quite often). Since I'll be moving, I won't be doing them anymore, but maybe someone else will hold one at their place
smile.png

Quote:
Just outside of Greensburg here. Focused on my Buff Orpingtons, Pilgrim geese, and Pekin ducks, but "other" critters in family are pretty much stealing the show these days. We're starting up a herd of heritage Red Wattle hogs. The pigs will be old enough to breed this spring. My grandchildren can't wait to have a litter on the place.

Pondering spring hatching.... We free range our mixed flock. However I want to separate some birds for hatching/show purposes. At night they don't mess with each other but they seem to "share" freely when out and about. What tips or advice do you have to separate breeds through the day? Temporary fencing/domes? Something cheap we can easily move. We will allow the silver Phoenix free with all the laying hens and his ladies but there are 3 other groups I want to segregate.... I appreciate any input!

Last edited:
My question is about day pens. Most of them are in split pens in the night. My Cochins are with the bantams, but I have never seen them cross. Silkies, wyandottes and Phoenix are all separate. But in the day I need chicken "play pens" so they can have space out in the yard and still be separate.....

You could make some 4x4 pens with lift tops. Framework of wood and wired on sides and top. Nothing on bottom. They would be safe from predators that way. The disadvantage is that you have to put them in every day and take them out at night. I use on of these when I am growing out birds and want them to get some grass and fresh air. If it looks like rain, I put a tarp over the top.

Quote:
I tried to have a chickenstock/meet-and-greet here last year, but only one person from BYC showed up (and she's here quite often). Since I'll be moving, I won't be doing them anymore, but maybe someone else will hold one at their place
smile.png

I certainly do not mind holding a meet-up chickenstock at my place, but I've never done this before and do not know how to go about organizing such an adventure.
And I'm wondering just how many people would drive to the middle of nowhere just to have a whole lotta fun with other chicken folk.
big_smile.png

So is it cold enough for everybody? Last winter my birds didn't mind the weather, but this very sudden change has them all hovering around the coop. I'm beginning to wonder if 2 are going broody to avoid the outdoors.

Back
Top Bottom