kentucky specks?

Pretty much just like the ones you have posted in #49 of this thread, only smaller.

But I'll get some up tonight.

I put some photos up in your thread on Kentucky Specks.

Currently, I have two pens with a total of 3 roosters and 5 hens. I had 2 roosters with 4 hens in one, but I had two die on me recently. Our extended unseasonably cold, wet weather has taken its toll on my flocks.

So, this year I have a cockerel and two pullets from earlier hatches and then the 8 newbies in the photographs. I'll probably maintain something close to this number.

I was told this was a rare color Kentucky speck. The pullet looks like a typical kentucky speck, but this guy deffinatly does not. Has anyone ever seen a kentucky speck like this?

I have read from several sources that there is a tendency for spangled breeds to drift towards having more and more red in the cape and saddle.

With Kentucky specks, you are looking to have some red in the cape, but not a lot. The hackle feathers should have some black and white feathers with a few red-laced black feathers.

What is happening is birds this bird is trying to revert to black-breasted red, which is the color of the Red Jungle Fowl, which is the primary wild ancestor of chickens.

As I understand the breed, You should see no red in your hens. They should be roughly evenly black and white. I sometimes see a little brown in the primary wing feathers, but just a touch.

If you have a hen that is too white (they naturally get whiter and whiter after each moult0 at an early stage, you can breed him with her. Otherwise, I'd consider cockerels that have that much red to be a cull.

Just saw this thread. The rare color cockerel pic you posted has too much red for my taste. I kill them if they turn out like that. I ve had them for several years now, hatch about 300 yearly, sell a few, cull a lot. I think they are probably the rarest continuosly bred breed of chicken in the US
I'm not too big on the imported Orpington cross "new" color of the month so I guess I may be slightly biased toward the Specks!

Matt

Back
Top Bottom