Khaki x Mallard mix Gender??

Mehi24

In the Brooder
Jan 9, 2024
The mom is a khaki and the dad is a mallard. I was wondering what the gender of the 2 month old duck is because even though she mimics the mother ducks quack I can see some shades of green on the head. (She hatched out of the egg with a weird looking wing we tried setting it right but it didn’t work. We don’t plan on breeding her/him. Just a pet.)

Attachments

• IMG_0286.jpeg
    IMG_0286.jpeg
    925.4 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_0285.jpeg
    IMG_0285.jpeg
    577.5 KB · Views: 9
If it has the loud call like the mother then it is a female. Drakes have a lower, raspy chatter that's quite different. There are videos on youtube that let you hear both to help you notice the difference. Here is one:

If it has the loud call like the mother then it is a female. Drakes have a lower, raspy chatter that's quite different. There are videos on youtube that let you hear both to help you notice the difference. Here is one:
Thank you! I’m pretty sure she’s female because of the quack but it was confusing me because of the greenish tint on the head. I saw on another thread that both female and male mallard ducklings can have the greenish tint when they are young before their first molt too.

Back
Top Bottom