Kids, our newest predator

Quote:
It's one thing for kids to be kids -- it's another thing for grown-ups to catch them throwing rocks at animals and threatening to kick a baby duck and not doing anything about it. It's darn irresponsible all the way around. If the OP feels under attack, they should be.

Jenny

Quote:
That was me. I was giving an example of how this post affected me, personally and how the parent I confronted about their boys' behavior didn't give a hoot much like the OP of this thread. It's a public lake and rock throwing/harassing wildlife is a big problem there. I didn't mean to detract from this thread.

From what I understand, the OP keeps them in a coop or yard and the kids came into the yard and actually into the coops, too.

I do hope that the OP will post an update, good or bad. But, not everyone is active with their posts or feels comfortable with responding to them, especially with criticism.

Last edited:
As the mother of a very good hearted and gentle young man, who is 16, let me tell you, he is more afraid of ME than he is of his father, who is 6ft 3" and a retired Army officer. My son also knows, having been raised on a farm, I ever caught him shooting a song bird, a crow, any flying animal or kicking an innocent animal, I am going to light his fanny up and we will have a "Come to Jesus Meeting" he won't ever forget. There is NO excuse for boys or children or any age to be excused for harm of any animal. A moral parent will instill this into their children if they themselves have morals and common decency, as I want to puke when I hear people say "boys will be boys". Give me a fricken break!

As for the boys who killed the OP's duckling, your darn right I am going to march my happy fanny over to the house and demand the parents do something, with a very stern warning of they come onto my property again, expect a call from the local social services for not controlling and disciplining her little demon spawn and from the police with a warrant of trespass AND the local humane society and the local newspaper. Animal abuse in any form should not be tolerated at all nor excuses given.

Last edited:
Quote:
So was I when I was a kid, and I'm a woman. Their gender has nothing to do with it. The fact is, they are not getting any parenting or ass whoopings, and they are turning into feral monsters who's futures are going to be ending up in jail as someones...girl.

I've nothing wrong with "kids being kids", "boys being boys" or "dogs being dogs" What bothers me is parents/owners not owning up to this and taking steps to rectify it so it doesn't become chronic. I see a lot of denial not only with some posts here but in everyday situations--trust me, I taught for 35 years and have had chickens about as long. Kids/boys and dogs can all be trained--not necessarily by corporal punishment either, but the first step to to admit there is a problem--that isn't happening.

call the police, then >>>>>**removed by staff**If you know the little guys have something they really care about, then reposess it.

Last edited by a moderator:
We've had to place combination locks on our fence gates because of neighborhood kids. Two girls snuck onto the property and fed our rabbits poisonous leaves, which killed two of them. Another little girl slammed her foot down on the pelvis of a rabbit who had accidentally scratched her, so she was kicked off the property.

Its just too much liability and danger to the animals.

Quote:
Okay, here's what I have gathered so far. The OP is from Newfoundland, Canada. There have been run ins with these youngsters before, and it appears to have been going on for several months. The boys have thrown rocks at the OP's birds, and it is alledged that they have tresspassed and entered the OP's coop. The charge of tresspassing has not been substanciated here in any concrete manner. There was an Uncle that "witnessed" an alledged tresspassing and talk of harming the OP's duckling. There did not appear to be any action taken by the Uncle or the OP in light if this. No one actually says what killed the duckling, that it "... looked like he had been stepped on...". All evidence to date is circumstancial. The mother of the boys was contacted and said to be "...furious that we yelled at her kids, she did not care that they killed our duck at all." Again, I see no evidence that the boys killed the OP's duckling. Because of this, the mother of the boys has the right to question the OP, and their yelling at her kids.

Quote:
We then have a new post from the OP, admitting that they do not know if their poultry are legal. There is also the mention of "My family...". Is it possible the the OP is young and may have taken matters into their own hands, rather than letting adults work this out?

Quote:
We then have the OP's third post, again admitting to ignorance of local laws.

Quote:
A fourth post is made, indicating the culprits are "little children". Is it possible that these are little children who may not know how to handle birds? As everyone here is well aware, small children will get exited and chase ducks, geese, chickens etc. They will also go places they are not allowed in order to see them. If they catch them, they will sometimes hold them too tightly, not knowing they can hurt them, unlike what the OP has suggested "It clearly was not an accident, they must have known the difference." Maybe they were chasing the duckling and accidentally stepped on it. Small children are not known for their agility. My experience with small children is that often they do not know the difference. There has not been a response from the OP in 6 days, despite others seeing them online.

So...

I believe the following, unless evidence is presented to the contrary. What the OP is dealing with is little children who may or may not be supervised during the times when the OP is not home. The reason for this appears to be that the properties are in close proximity to each other. The lack of response with respect to tresspassing again, appears to be because of the age of the kids involved. Why wouldn't the Uncle have called the police on tresspassers? Would you call the cops on a 4 year old that keeps coming into your yard to see your chicks? There is also some doubt as to the legality of keeping poultry on the OP's property. The OP is likely to be young as well, alluding to the fact that the OP and the OP's boyfriend were growing attached to the duckling. The OP has never come back to describe any of this in detail. It is entirely possible that this was an easily avoidable accident had the OP taken reasonable precautions. Lock the coop. Don't leave the property with the flock free-ranging and unsupervised. Talk to the kids, with their parents present, on how to correctly interact with your birds. Never assume that others know anything about your animals.

Just my $0.02.

Spoggy... good eye. I never caught that 4th post but certainly sounds like a "youngen". You might just be right.

If they are "little" kids... there may be (I don't know how Canada works) some child neglect laws beign broken on part of the neighbor.

Yes, agreed. Take better precaustions with your birds... OR in the least expect some losses to preditors and such.

Still, if there were children of any age throwing rocks at my flocks... there would be 911 dialed on my phone faster than anything. I even have been known to call the law on kids chasing wild ducks at the park. They cops come and run the brats off. A duck, especially, can easily break a leg running. I do say this to people who allow their kids to run through flocks trying to scare them. Then I always remind them that animal abuse is a fellony (in my state). I'm sorry if this is too general and not exactly just about this thread, but I do not tollerate animal abuse. I'm not a total nutcase that says "their tie out isn't long enough" or "they only walk their dogs once a day" - I'm talking about beating animals, running them down on bicycles, throwing rocks... these are just three cases where I stepped in a risked my own safety for someone elses animal. My point there is I can't wrap my mind around kids, even toddlers, throwing rocks at my birds and just not doing anything until one comes up dead. It's just something I can't imagine sitting back and accepting. If they were YOUNG then why can't you say "Hey, that's not how you treat animals." or whatever is age appropriate? Why let it go?

Oh geez. And sonew has said it... where is the update?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom