killing chickens

Trekson

In the Brooder
8 Years
Apr 26, 2011
I want to use a home made killing cone device. While reading up on them, most folks suggested cutting the jugular but not the windpipe, to let them bleed out. I was just going to lop (literally, using loppers) their heads off. Is there a reason it shouldn't be done that way?

I don't know the best way to kill a chicken, but I have seen someone just hold its head and sling it......its cruel. I just cant kill anything tho...lol

I hang them with (reusible) loops made from lawn mower starter rope, around there legs & just use some old clippers & snip off the heads.when "ITS ALL OVER" I skin them right there while still hanging on the close line post.I put the innards(less gizzard & liver) and skin with feathers in an old feed sack. & it is all done.
smile.png

Last edited:
Quote:
The thinking is that severing the jugular while leaving the spinal column intact allows the bird's heart to keep pumping longer to give a more thorough bleedout.

I have seen someone just hold its head and sling it......its cruel

That's called cervical dislocation. It's not used for slaughtering birds for butcher, but for euthanizing birds that need to be put down for other reasons. It is actually considered one of the more humane methods of dispatching a bird and is recognized as humane by the American Veterinary Medical Association and other groups.​

-my mother used to use an axe and behead them..
-my husband shoots them in the head
-when I have to do the killing I use a tree branch lopper.. for small birds I use a smaller pruner (which I had to use this morning to cull a wry neck chick that kept relapsing)

I would bet that more down-on-the-farm chickens have been dispatched using the axe to lop off the head method than any other, however, I have read that using that method can allow bacteria to enter back into the body of the chicken. Not as likely with the severing of the jugular. Just what I've heard. Personally I have a problem slitting a live chickens throat (jugular). I usually give them a sharp blow to the back of the head to kill them and then make the cuts to bleed them out - I leave the head on until the very last.

i was struggling with the same problem...you want to be humain, so cuting the juggulars to bleed seems kinda cruel, i know you want the best outcome but you gotta feel ok when your head hits the pillow!:
th.gif

Last edited:
Quote:
Actually, many people do just that. It's a perfectly satisfactory way, and very humane. And also for people who don't have a lot of experience (or even those who do) it works great because it's very hard to mess up (unlike with a hatchet, for example). I say, go for it! Oh, but I should add, the key is to have those blades really SHARP!
smile.png

I've tried a few different techniques to try to find which I prefer. My current favorite is dislocation--easy (once you know how), doesn't require any special tools but your hands, and little mess, but it's important to do it right, otherwise you may not kill the bird instantly and/or it won't bleed out properly.

Good luck!

Last edited:
cut the heads off. quickest and most painless. we've never used loppers, just a sharp knife. you need to do it with conviction, though, don't stop halfway second guessing

Back
Top Bottom