Killing Cone Substitute

ridgrats

In the Brooder
11 Years
Apr 12, 2008
Royston, GA
Don't have one of those nice killing cones? Got a few meaties to butcher? Don't worry. I know you've got empty feed sacks.

Take a feed sack and cut off a corner on the unopened end large enough to get the birds head through. Stick the birds head through the hole from the inside, wrap the bird gently with the sack to hold him still. Now you've got several options to dispatch the bird.

You can use the two nails on a stump method to hold it and chop off the head. When the head's off, loosen the bag slightly and the bloody neck will retreat back into the bag thus not slinging blood everywhere when the flapping starts.

Or you can hang it up, head down, and let the blood drain after chopping or slitting, your preference.

I have even hung the bird/sack head down against a tree, or board standing on end, and then chopped.

Just another hint that may make it easier to do the deed for someone, Rodney

WE had a neighbor who used milk jugs as a cone replacement. Cut the bottom out and you just take the cap off if the head of the rooster is too big then cut the cap opening a little bigger. He did tons of chickens this way.

That's a good idea. I am afraid to do meat chickens because of all the blood, but maybe now I could. I hope....
roll.png

Back
Top Bottom