King County, Washington!

Pics

NWchickenherder

Chirping
8 Years
Jan 17, 2014
Kirkland, WA
I don't know if there will be much interest in a thread for people in a relatively small geographic area or not, but here's my attempt at starting one! Heck, maybe someone as already tried, but I didn't see anything in my search of existing threads. Though there is also the larger Washington State thread, I think there are a disproportionate number of us "urban chicken" enthusiasts right around here in King County and this thread could be a helpful way for people to share information/tips/knowledge etc. that can be a lot more specific and useful than more general knowledge you'll find out there. I hope it will also connect people in the area if anyone wishes to exchange physical goods and not just knowledge. I know I had a lot of questions when I first started out, such where a good place to get chicks was, which local feed to use, regulations, etc. I'd love to list everything I wish I'd of know when I first started, but that would look a lot more like a paper and not a simple post on this thread!

So if you're in King County, Washington or the nearby check-in, say hi, post any questions, etc. I hope this will can be a useful resource for much more local knowledge and sharing.

Ha ha yes I'd say Skagit is plenty close! My thread could be a little mislabeled with "just" King County in the title. My intention was to have a forum where people within a relatively close proximity could exchange knowledge and even possibly items for sale, such as chicks, feed, etc. So of course Snohomish, Skagit, Pierce, etc. are all well within reasonable driving distance.

Good idea! I've travelled as far as Covington for chicks this year. At the moment I have several young roosters to find homes for.
Bantam Delaware
Black Silkie
White Crested Polish bantam
And as of this morning, a Jersey Giant!

Hi there. I'm in King Cty, up in the mountains near Enumclaw. Just finishing my first year as a chicken mama. Started with 14. One turned out to be a roo and a coyote got a couple. I learned a lot this year. Currently trying to see if a broody Cochin will adopt a couple day olds.

I think it's a great idea to link up. Look forward to hearing more.

Hi,
I live in Federal Way. I will be a new chicken Mama in March....I am very excited. I am thinking of buy some hens on Craigslist, is that a bad idea? Not sure I want to go through the chick stage, but if needed I will.

Lauri

Hi Lauri,
I'm sure what ever you decide will be best for you. Here's my two cents: raising from day olds my hens new my smell, touch, and the sound of my voice. As two year old hens, they still come when I call the. And even let me handle them. I set up a brooder tank and it really was pretty simple. I got my chicks from The Grange last time, and it worked out. This time I ordered from a hatchery my friend swears by as I wanted to try some particular breeds. id be cautious getting anything from an unknown, you don't know the kind of life they've had, how they've been treated, or how healthy the really are. Like I said, my two cents.

Good luck!
Carole

Hi sdlauri. Buying hens in fine, however you should be very cautious about who you buy hens from on craigslist. A lot of people will try to pawn off older hens that are well past their peak production rate and they will not provide many (if any) eggs for you and also leave you holding the bag on what to do with old hens. Also, if you do not truly know your source of chickens you could be getting birds that are carrying disease.

Having said all that (!) you can buy hens ready to lay from very reliable, trust-worthy sources. I know of 2 I personally use and trust, although they are not necessarily right in Federal Way. The absolute best, by far, is Baxter Barn that sells a wide variety of chickens of all ages. Yes, it is probably going to be a little more expensive to buy hens from there versus what you're going to find from random posters on craigslist. But considering you're buying these birds for your personal egg consumption I would be willing to pay a few extra bucks per hen to get them from this trusted source versus the scuzzy backyard hens you'll find elsewhere on craigslist. I would say the same for the extra drive to Fall City from Federal Way. Ironically, Baxter Barn does use a craigslist page, but they also have facebook and a dedicated website (the craigslist add is always updated with the birds they have available). You can find their page here http://seattle.craigslist.org/est/grq/4843366838.html.

The other source I really trust is the Portage Bay Grange (http://www.portagebaygrange.com/). They don't have as large of a variety, but still a great store. And it's in Seattle in case that happens to be more convenient.

I hope this helps. If you have any other questions just ask. Good luck and let everyone know how your chicken experience goes!

Baxter barn does have a "variety" of breeds, but many of them are mixed and not as advertised. When they are chicks it is very hard to tell that you are not getting what you paid for. Be careful before spending your money. You'd be better off buying from a true breeder rather than from a middle man.

Back
Top Bottom