Kitchen scraps = decline in laying?

rileyelliott

In the Brooder
6 Years
Oct 21, 2013
I've been feeding my three girls a *lot* of veggie scraps, crushed apples, eggs, and some meat in the last week or so--they were slow layers before, but since I'd done this, I haven't gotten a single egg! They still have layer feed with 17% protein available to them. . . though I've noticed I really haven't refilled it in the last week, so I doubt they're eating it.

Could feeding them the scraps (even though there's been lots of protein mixed in) be the reason behind the decrease in laying?

Yes, it could be the reason. Its usually not a good idea to give a lot of kitchen scraps, as they decrease the overall protein content usually, and can make the chickens not eat their layer feed. There may be other reasons for no eggs, though. I'm not sure where you are, but in the United States, daylight hours are continuing to decrease. Chickens do not lay well if daylight hours drop below fourteen hours or so, and may stop laying altogether.

Thanks for the reply! I'm in upstate NY so yes, we definitely have a decrease in daylight, but I've installed LED lights in the coop that are running for about 5 hours after they go in for the night so they should be getting plenty of light.

I don't have any problem with giving kitchen scraps or leftovers effecting egg production but I have heard there is something in apples that can. It's okay to give apples as a treat once in a while, but not very often. Also it is coming into wintertime and egg production drops off naturally.

I really don't see how what you're feeding could stop production. My birds get lots of only fruit of veggie scraps during harvest time, and it doesn't effect their laying at all. You say you're giving meat and eggs also, so you're keeping the protein up. I think it's coincidence. When I say my birds get a lot, I mean probably 2 gallons of scraps from salsa making, apple processing, general garden scraps, for a flock of around 2 dozen.

Is it possible they are molting? Some of my hens in the barn are molting now. A little late some would think, but the added light may have delayed their molt.

Back
Top Bottom