Kiwi leaves - okay to toss in the chicken pen?

Bird Worrier

Songster
6 Years
Dec 31, 2017
I like throwing different leaves and branches in the chicken coop for them to horse around with. Does anyone know if kiwi leaves are safe or toxic for chickens?

I know they can eat the fruit, but I'm not sure about the leaves. Hopefully someone will come along that does know.

I like throwing different leaves and branches in the chicken coop for them to horse around with. Does anyone know if kiwi leaves are safe or toxic for chickens?
Hi, I have been feeding my chickens kiwi leaves for about three years now, and they seem to really like them and I have not noted any ill effects. They will hop up on anything close to the vines to be able to eat at the leaves. They have the ability to free range and choose from several different plants, but kiwi now and again is a favorite. I have tried looking for more information on the nutrients in the leaves, but have not found much yet. Next summer I plan to harvest some of the leave and try dehydrating them to feed in the winter to add more variety and nutrition.

Hi, I have been feeding my chickens kiwi leaves for about three years now, and they seem to really like them and I have not noted any ill effects. They will hop up on anything close to the vines to be able to eat at the leaves. They have the ability to free range and choose from several different plants, but kiwi now and again is a favorite. I have tried looking for more information on the nutrients in the leaves, but have not found much yet. Next summer I plan to harvest some of the leave and try dehydrating them to feed in the winter to add more variety and nutrition.
Thanks for that! I'll keep sharing the vines and the leaves with them!

Back
Top Bottom