Knoble Chickens Builds a Coop

Had some time after work to spend on the coop and run. Cut out and put together the door frame, and cut a cross brace for the side the door is on. Got out the white paint and gave it all a good coating.of pigment.

I will stay with the sand. It should be easy to rake up the leavings. Hoping to have them in the run by end of day Sunday, but i still have a ramp to make......lol.

You left the easy part for last!
wink.png

I love the look of your coop. You make it look so easy and I know its not. We already have 4 hens and getting 6 chicks. Once they are old enough we will put them all together.

My husband loved wood working and building things. I would love trying to build a small coop for my girls I will get Monday. My son is enjoy it also as he built our first coop last year and working on a second run so I can use for the chicks. I will still need someplace for them once they out grow my brooder tub I will have them in. Boy I wished I would of paid more attention when he was building things when he was living.

I would like the second coop ( mine to maybe use as brooder coop until they are old enough to be transferred into the flock. )

Thank you for the kudos everyone, It makes a old hack like me feel better about what he is trying to do!

Had a good day yesterday. I assembled the door. After installing the rest of the hardware cloth and a cross brace, I hung the door. Installed the latch and made so you could get out with a cord fed through a stud. Did a little cleanup in the run and organised the wood I have left. Next is to tackle the ramp, need to go get more 2x2's, I have a couple other things I am going to do as well......

Like to think this thing is getting a bit photogenic.....

Cutting out the trim for the door

Door assembled and ready to hang

Cross brace and hardware cloth installed

Door hung on its hinges

Inside view...

Closeup of the latch with the pull cord and carabiner lock

Put the carabineer in place to keep from locking yourself in......and stash some wire cutters in the run somewhere
wink.png

Another good day, and the cacklers are enjoying their new run! I built the ramp that I had envisioned, cleaned out the run of all the scrap wood and tools, then let them out. Took some convincing, and I needed to pick them up and place them back into the coop after the sun set, but I expected that. I also had made a run to the store and picked up a additional hinge for the run door, I wanted three hinges on it. Next is to finish the trim, and a special touch I have dreamed up.

Landing framed up

Braces added

Plywood top installed

Ramps made up with tread blocks and screwed in place

Slowly convincing the girls to come out and check out the new run

Set of overall Coop/run photos

Back
Top Bottom