Knoble Chickens Builds a Coop

I am a jack of all trades. I grew up with a home shop including wood and metal lathes, mill, welding, appliance and auto repair, electrical, plumbing, painting and building trades, engineering, design and fabrication, wood working and so on. The lathe I now own was originally purchased by my grandfather for my dad in 1947. The coop&run I am building, the only thing I have put to paper is the list of stuff I needed to buy, everything else is designed in my head, no plans are on paper.

Last edited:
Wish me luck, I hope I don't drown out there. Gotta work on the new coop&run today, rain or no rain. I have eight fast growing chicks who are nearly all feathered out and ready for their new digs.I need to finish the last bit of framing then I am going to start installing the metal roof sheets. When that is done its paint touch-up, and start installing hardware cloth. I have a design for the coop door, I hope I can pull off what I have dreamed up.

Taking a break, it is wet outside. I have finished the framing, and most of the roof panels. Warming up with a bit of stew, and posting photos....

Last 2x4 for top of coop inside run

Three of four roof panels installed

And between spacer blocks.The two end rafters are against the end top plates and screwed in several locations. The coop is placed in a area that will be shaded from weather and sun by the house and shop. The PNW is actually very weather friendly, besides being grey and gloomy from December through March.

I am a jack of all trades. I grew up with a home shop including wood and metal lathes, mill, welding, appliance and auto repair, electrical, plumbing, painting and building trades, engineering, design and fabrication, wood working and so on. The lathe I now own was originally purchased by my grandfather for my dad in 1947. The coop&run I am building, the only thing I have put to paper is the list of stuff I needed to buy, everything else is designed in my head, no plans are on paper.

Nice. I have about every other wood working tool besides a lathe. I have only in my life seen two other people paint before building. On is my best friend a painter by trade. The other being a good amish crew doing a deck. That is why I asked.

I too right list for hardware store otherwise the coop is based loosely on a design I saw in a pic. and the run has developed from pictures online.
So basically I'm like a little china man. If I see a picture. I can then figure out how to built it. And make those on the fly changes to get what I want.

Build looks good. I'm following.

Scott

I have put together a new video!

0.jpg

Coops looking good...following. I spent 4 days in the PNW a few years back and it was the most glorious, sunny, mid-70's every day. My friend that lives there said we got very lucky, weather wise. Its a beautiful part of the world and nice people.

Where is the 'insulating OSB' going to go...under the rafters?
Thought it would go on top of rafters and under metal.

Back
Top Bottom