Knoble Chickens Builds a Coop

Quote:
Lol. I would love to see his face. I have showed a lot of my friend how easy it is to break a craftsman boxed end wrench. I get a nut and bolt tighten them together put a snap on on one side and the craftsman on the other. and bam broke 3 out of 4. last one striped the nut it's side. a dealer many years ago showed me that.

Scott

Got some stuff done today. It was a monsoon this morning, so I waited for the rain to break. I didn't get started til after lunch. Installed some of the hardware cloth under the coop and on the side closest to the garage. Cut out the T-111 panels for the "back" wall and painted them. I am now waiting for them to dry so I can cut out the vents and install them tomorrow. I must admit the red I picked out is a bit on the bright side, but I guess I Subconsciously wanted my coop to stand out.

Photogenic evidence:

Some hardware cloth installed under coop:

And on the side closest to garage:

Painted T-111 panels:

What a day! Weather cooperated, no rain. It was cloudy and in the 50's, perfect for outdoor construction. I started the day by cutting the vent in the back wall panels. Installed them and then cut out the panel for the side wall. Gave it a coat of red paint and set it aside to dry. Installed the 2x4 and hardware cloth below the lower storage bin. Started framing the upper storage and egg boxes. By this time the side panel was dry so I cut out the hole for the vent, then installed it. Finished my day by completing the plywood installation for the upper storage and egg boxes. I guess you can say the sawdust was flying!

Backing up my story:

One panel installed

Back wall installed

2x4 for lower storage and hardware cloth

Side panel cut out and painted

My GF spoils me......LUNCH!!

Side panel installed.

Framing out the upper storage and egg boxes

Plywood installed

Upper storage done!

Last edited:
The storage looks nice. That is something that I looked at very hard when redoing my coop. Storage spots in the walls. I think my best bet it that I will just build a outhouse somewhere out in or by the run. And put feed, shovels, rakes and pitchfork in.

Keep the pictures coming the build look great.

Scott

I have been debating integrated storage as well, but I can't seem to decide the dimensions that it would need to be. What do you plan to store on the shelves?

Treats, grit, scratch, sifting tools and the like in the upper storage, and feed in the lower storage.
cool.png

The big bag of feed will go below so I do not need to lift it up so high. I am also planning to make the lower storage the place where I transfer the feed into a hopper that gravity feeds to the PCV tube feeder below. I want to place it below the box that makes up the lower storage so that the little cluckers are unable to climb on it. The feeder will be similar to the first one pictured in this thread:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/109158/pvc-pipe-feeder

For water I wanted to do a chicken nipple station fed with runoff collected from the roof, as well as a top off port in case it doesn't rain enough over the summer months.

Back
Top Bottom