Knoble Chickens Builds a Coop

Put any feed items in metal containers to deter the mice.
wink.png
I have thought about potential mice issues. Any mouse crazy enough to be out in the open, in a yard with two Scotties, is not going to have the time to gnaw on anything. I can make the storage box with no opening bigger than 1/8". The mouse would be better off inside the coop, if he could get past the 1/2" hardware cloth, but then he has hens to deal with. I also can keep a eye out for any mouse damage over time, one reason to paint things.

Another wet PNW day. Got nothing done on the coop besides going out and buying more stuff for it. Looks like my days of drawing unemployment is over for now, gotta wake up to a alarm clock tomorrow morning, first time in almost six months.

Yay me!

Less time to work on coop........ack!

Last edited:
Nothing done today, this new job has lots of available hours. Hopefully I get weekends off, I need to get this done for my quickly growing up chicks!

Last edited:
I finally got home and still had some daylight left today. Even though this new job is leaving me pretty worn out, I still managed to get some stuff done. Cut the rest of the T1-11 to size and painted the side with the storage. Maybe I can get the coop done enough to move the chickens in this weekend? I hope so....

Too tired to take photos today......

I have a whole weekend to work on the coop. Painted the panels for the coop inside the run and set them aside to dry. Cut the doors out from the T1-11 side panel and mounted it in place. Made sure I installed the hardware cloth that went under it first. The panels I painted were dry, so I started laying out the pop door and coop barn doors. After cutting and fitting the first piece, I realized I had made a mistake. The big barn doors would hit the rafter inside the run, keeping me from fully opening the doors to clean the inside of the coop. Fortunately I had enough cutoffs of T1-11 that I can recover from this oops, I just need to make the doors shorter to clear the rafters.

Moments in time captured!

When painting T1-11, brush the grooves first

Then roll the rest with a thick nap roller brush

Side panel with doors cut out and installed

My progress on the coop wall inside the run.

If you look close at the top, you will see the opening is close to the same level of the rafters.

Back
Top Bottom