lace x bar

KatD

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jun 11, 2013
Magnolia, Texas, USA
What happens when a lace male mixes with a bar female? Do we get lace, bar or solid? I have bar roos over bar hens and sexlink hens and we get bar and sport pullets and cockerels that are barred, some with red, gold and green feathers. Now I have one barred roo, one lavender oprington and two blue laced red Wyandotte roos. I am wondering what pattern I should expect from the laced roos over the barred hens. Does anyone know?

Last edited:
Barring is sexlinked. A barred hen can only pass her barring to her male offspring. Male chicks will be barred. No way to predict what the female chicks will end up looking like until you try it.
Your barred rooster can pass his barring gene to both male and female chicks, so most of his chicks will be barred with some gold/red leakage.
The Orpington rooster will breed like a solid black rooster. He will still work to make black sexlinks, but the pullets will likely be solid black, lacking the typical gold feathering on the neck and chest.

That will be nice to have a mix of all of them.
cool.png

Barring is sexlinked. A barred hen can only pass her barring to her male offspring. Male chicks will be barred. No way to predict what the female chicks will end up looking like until you try it.
Your barred rooster can pass his barring gene to both male and female chicks, so most of his chicks will be barred with some gold/red leakage.
The Orpington rooster will breed like a solid black rooster. He will still work to make black sexlinks, but the pullets will likely be solid black, lacking the typical gold feathering on the neck and chest.
I should have lots of black chickens then since The General rules the roost. :D

Back
Top Bottom