lame chicken- no obvious injury- not Marek's or other neurological problem- not bumblefoot

I have lost 5 bantam hens, 2 bantam cockerels and 3 chickens to Marek's.

I am sharing what I have learnt as information is very sparse.

Marek's can effect poultry at ANY age.

Vaccinated birds are not safe. It doesn't always work and on top of that new strains are resilient to the vaccination

My last bantam died 5 months ago- the deaths in the Bantams started in May last year.

No new birds were added to the flock and I have no idea where it came from or how.

Hypercium, vitamins, anti-biotics, baby ibuprofen, hand feeding and watering does not work.

My leg horn did recover from paralysed neck with the above treatment, only to die 6 weeks later from internal tumours

Two of my chickens were struck down when in full molt, as they were obviously weakened and Marek's is opportunistic. My other chicken that died was a big strong healthy bird.

Symptoms:

None- just go quiet and drop dead within 24-48 hours
Huddled, head under wing and lethargic
Limp, lame and then paralysis
Gaping and struggling to swallow
Green poo
Eyes closed or half closed
Dirty, sore , featherless vent
Soft, thin or rubbery eggs
Stumbling, and using wings to balance
Towards the end they always have classic Marek's sign of curled foot / claw

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/the-great-big-giant-mareks-disease-faq

I have a 6 week old chick that's been lame for 2 weeks. Her toe is pointing up. I am completely stunned. She was w/ her 5 "sisters". I separated them thinking they were trampling her. I taped two toes together (thinking it's broken). I did notice that even tho they were taped, both toes (even the good one) pointed up. The next day her toe on the other foot is doing the same thing. Now I'm thinking neurological. So she sits & "bobs"(her name is Bobbette). After 1 1/2 wks , I removed then tape....no improvement. I don't know what to do....I'm really concerned about her roosting.

I don't have experience with chicks; but this really doesn't sound like Mareks. Can she walk?

Maybe try her with some vitamins (with no iron), it may be a vitamin deficiency, and maybe some Hypercium

I have a 6 week old chick that's been lame for 2 weeks. Her toe is pointing up. I am completely stunned. She was w/ her 5 "sisters". I separated them thinking they were trampling her. I taped two toes together (thinking it's broken). I did notice that even tho they were taped, both toes (even the good one) pointed up. The next day her toe on the other foot is doing the same thing. Now I'm thinking neurological. So she sits & "bobs"(her name is Bobbette). After 1 1/2 wks , I removed then tape....no improvement. I don't know what to do....I'm really concerned about her roosting.
Welcome to BYC. Yes I would try vitamins--either a poultry vitamin in the water for all to drink or dose her daily with PolyVisol without iron 3 drops daily. Avian encephalomyelitis might also be a cause. Could you post a picture of her toes and feet? Here are a couple of links for you: http://www.merckmanuals.com/vet/pou..._poultry/vitamin_deficiencies_in_poultry.html
http://www.thepoultrysite.com/diseaseinfo/9/avian-encephalomyelitis-epidemic-tremors

Last edited:
Can you describe how she sits, and how she walks. If she sits on her hocks or elbows, or curls her toes, these can be signs of vitaamin deficiency or some of the diseases listed above. Pictures would be useful.

Can you describe how she sits, and how she walks. If she sits on her hocks or elbows, or curls her toes, these can be signs of vitaamin deficiency or some of the diseases listed above. Pictures would be useful.

She gets around decently, alot of teeter-tottering. She does alot of sitting tho. No, she doesn't curl her toes

She had been on vitamins for almost a week, now she walks on the outer part of her feet. Seems to be getting worse.

My chick does the same thing with her leg. Hops on one foot and the other leg is straight out. I've tried to figure out what it is. She's been that way since birth. I put her in a rabbit cage with the floor open and she cried and cried. The other chicks she was with cried too. I thought it would be better if she was alone but they all let me know that was no option. She doesn't seem to get better. I hate to do away with her. Any suggestions?

firstly I'm sorry to hear of the hens who've had to be put down or died. so sorry for your loss.

One of my hens has gone lame in one leg today, she's really hobbling. She's normally the brightest, noisiest and fastest of the bunch so it's not liker her at all. I took her in, gave her a bathe and washed her feet to have a good look and there was no obvious sign of injury, no cuts or swelling that I could see. I gave her a good dose of TCP/antiseptic on her feet just to be sure and dried her off with a treat of boiled egg and mealworms to cheer her up. I can't see any drooping or swelling on her, so maybe she's just lost a fight with a wasp. Will keep an eye on her fr the next few days just to be sure. Might try the aspirin thing if it won't damage them as she's obviously in pain.

Back
Top Bottom