Landscaping and Plantings for a Free Range Flock

Pics
I love having good cover for my birds. There are several giant ligustrum in one area that they love hanging out in/under. By giant, I mean they have reached a good 15-20ft tall, and all run together in to one bank that is probably 20x50. There is also a pair of mature cedars that are limbed all the way to the ground, but they prefer the denser cover of ligustrum most of the time.
As far as planting for more cover... I like vines and large roses. As long as your put some pavers over the root base the chooks digging/dusting isn't a problem.

On big roses and other hardy shrubs the paver skirt only needs to stay until they establish a good root system. After that the roots seem to hold them well enough. For things that aren't as strong in their root system I just leave it.
Makes it handy to move the pavers on to new plantings once the tougher plants are well established.

Here in FL where the 'soil' is 99% loose sand... well, you protect the roots or even the bantams can dig it out. LOL

Last edited:
I would like to get some of those large white flowers on the bushes in your Pictures BC. Where do you get them what are they called? Are they an perennial ? Do they stay a bush over winter or get mowed down? Do they come back from the roots each year?

I remember we had them at our house when I was a little kid, (4-5) back before we were kicked out of the Holy land and before my Grandpa moved out of this house and went to town......

Are they the same plant as those with the greenish snowball like flowers?

Ralphie I believe they are Annabelle hydrangea. If you want to wait until spring we can get you some for free ;) . I don't know if we have enough time for roots to establish before winter hits now. When transplanted they look half dead their first year. Second year they leaf out and are a small bush as expected. Third year they are hitting their stride. By 5th year you have a 5 foot tall and 4-6 foot diameter plant that can have portions removed and propagated to another spot in the garden. Maybe even sooner. They'll spread by root runners. I trim them very lightly. As I like them tall. But they will take pruning as low as a foot to foot and a half.

There is a snowball bush I've seen with a lobed leaf (sort of maple leaf shape) this is not that one. The leaf is definitely more hydrangea shaped.

This hydrangea's flowers do turn green Ralphie and then brown in the fall and winter.

I'd love to see some photos of ligustrum at work with your chickens. ;) @Goosegrrl

Last edited:
I'll get a pic of the ligustrums... but even if all 10 chooks are in there it's rarely that it's possible to SEE any of them. LOL
I can try when some come to the edge. If they get scared they will fly right into it. Some of the bantams will go nearly to the tops.

I'll get a pic of the ligustrums... but even if all 10 chooks are in there it's rarely that it's possible to SEE any of them. LOL
I can try when some come to the edge. If they get scared they will fly right into it. Some of the bantams will go nearly to the tops.

Do what you can....LOL. Sounds like a perfect plant for Chickens!

Bogtown, great pics! Love hydrangeas! I have quite a bit of evergreen plants for my chickens to hang out under. Especially important in case of ariel attack! I also have a few pallets I've leaned up against my fence & planted with native red honeysuckle. The red honeysuckle isn't invasive like the Asian stuff and is evergreen here during the winter. All this in an attempt to provide cover from hawks. We have a ton around here. Ive been lucky so far....knock on wood. Anyone else providing cover for your birds? Always looking for good ideas i can incorporate into the yard.

the pallets are a GREAT idea!! I have several (because my DH is a genl contractor and supplies will be delivered on them) and I can see spray painting them and making a lean to for the birds to hide under. Thanks Memphis!

the pallets are a GREAT idea!! I have several (because my DH is a genl contractor and supplies will be delivered on them) and I can see spray painting them and making a lean to for the birds to hide under. Thanks Memphis!

Or you could offer them to your chicken raising neighbor who always needs pallets.......

I need more lilacs and Judy like those Hydrangeas with the snow balls on them. Next year I want them.

I need summer to be 3-4 months longer so I can get all the Summer stuff done.

I think Chickens would like Lilacs too. I don't have any! Which is a horrible state of affairs in my opinion. I want them bad. Before they hardly stood a chance around here as deer love them. But the yellow labrador is territorial and the common White Tail has no business or time a-wasting in my yard, any more. I have not had one browsed off hydrangea, hosta, you name it in 1 1/2 years...roughly the age of Sadie Mae. LOL. Time to give Lilacs their chance in my yard, I guess!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom