Langshan Thread!!!

Pics
20391_pict0249.jpg

Here is another picyure of my new aquisitions a sexed pair (7 month old pullet and cockerel)of Goad Langshans I thought. How would one discrimnate between Cochins and Langshans? I know about the U-shape of mature langshans but have found nothing definitive on common breed charts? Comb type, size or color maybe?
thanks

AS a lurker on here - lol - i have one question. Why is this breed sometimes referred to as Croad Langshan - in my research a General Croad brought them to england from China - but is this maybe more a british term rather than a difference in Langshans?

Quote:
Langshans have white skin and will have white soles on their feet as their legs are slate in color. Cochins should have yellow skin and will have yellow legs.

In this photo, her leg feathering does not seem as much but there sure is a bunch of fluff isn't there!
big_smile.png

AS a lurker on here - lol - i have one question. Why is this breed sometimes referred to as Croad Langshan - in my research a General Croad brought them to england from China - but is this maybe more a british term rather than a difference in Langshans?

In America, as far as anyone knows, only the "Croad" exists. It is more of a British term as over there they have access to both the Croad and the German Langshan. Croad simply denotes the birds that were imported to Britain by General Croad. They are large stately birds with leg feathering, which the German Langshan lack. German Langshans have a more wine-glass appearance and to me, are beautiful in their own right.

If there is anyone out there that has more information regarding the American Langshan's (American Croad Langshan's) history, please feel free to contribute as it interests me and I'm sure others out there.​

Last edited:
Quote:
From what I have seen and heard of, no. Although I'm sure rodgriguezpoultry has more say in the matter.
wink.png

Some of my black breeders eggs look like the center egg in the top photo:
http://clarescroads.webs.com/eggcolour.htm

BUT, I have never, ever seen an egg like the bottom photo depicts.

I personally have never heard of anyone getting eggs like those from the bottom photo, but that could be because the color you are seeing is from the cuticle and not from the egg itself. Once washed and dried, it looks (to me) like any brown colored egg. This is the reason I refuse to sell eggs to those looking to purchase for the color. It's all a matter of opinion on what color constitutes "plum" and what constitutes "pink".

BUT, I have never, ever seen an egg like the bottom photo depicts.

I think those are actually plums. You can see the crease in one.

ETA- Yeah- she says so next to it.​

Last edited:
Quote:
You know, until I read the blue writing underneath that bottom picture, I thought it was just a pic of actual plums. I'm still not sure it isn't, just with a misleading caption. The egg in the top pic is what I want in my basket.

ETA: I see now that it's mentioned in the text.
lol.png

Last edited:
It was too difficult to read her words next to it. I simply assumed she was comparing an egg next to a real plum. Thank you for helping me with the photo. The way she has the column wording is confusing!

The closest I've known to those plums are when a Marans lays an egg with extra coating on it -

5385315148_6619b4b29d_m.jpg

But otherwise, yes, in most cases that sort of pink color can pop up in any brown egg layer. When I think of Croad Langshan plum eggs, I think of this image. . .

treemo.mikekk.134359.or.jpg

Which still I believe is a normal brown colored egg with a lot of coating on it. . . I think these birds were bred for that trait though.

Back
Top Bottom