Langshan Thread!!!

That definitely looks like it needs some neosporin. Maybe apply a little rubbing alcohol and then neosporin and a bandage.

Not like any leg scale I've ever seen more like chicken leg fungal infection or viral or maybe they scratched a while in some septic soil?

Is he housed with hens? Chances are the hens are picking his leg feathers. You can put some Vaseline on his legs to help deter the hens from picking at them. (Who would want a mouth full of Vaseline?)

Hello :)

Who keeps their Langshans as traditional farm fowl? Following a seasonal breeding and culling system, utilizing free range and natural lay rates?
I would like to hear of your experiences :)

M

This is my favourite langshan bantam. He the other day it got a first in the royal Sydney show .And it was the 4th best langshan rooster in the show out of 51 other roosters.

Here is a updated pictures of my langshans, 3 weeks old

Hello :)

Who keeps their Langshans as traditional farm fowl? Following a seasonal breeding and culling system, utilizing free range and natural lay rates?
I would like to hear of your experiences :)

M
I'm not sure if this is what you are looking for but I have both a free range flock and also some in breeding pens. Almost all of my adult Langshans live on a friend's 10 acre farm. We currently have 2 trios in breeding pens and the rest of the flock is in the field. They sleep in a converted horse trailer that gets moved around the property. I'm not sure how many are in that group but we have 5 Langshan roos with quite a few hens both Langshan and a few other breeds. Most of the field birds are just for eggs. The plan was to breed the best of them but then this spring I was able to find the 2 trios that are better birds. We do have a few decent birds in the field which will be incorporated into our breeding program and cycled through the breeding pens. The plan is to let them all free range during the late summer, fall, and early winter but we will have to narrow down the field roos before that happens. My friend loves the Langshans and so does everyone who comes to the farm. She frequently has people ask to buy the roos. They are big boys and I think that most of the people offering to buy them want them for meat!

Here is a updated pictures of my langshans, 3 weeks old
Very cute! I have several groups of chicks that need their pics taken. All of the chicks that have hatched from one of my new LF black trio look like boys to me. They are all slow featherers and very slow to develop. The look like a bunch of little dinosaurs! I'm hoping it is just a characteristic of this line. It couldn't be that I have two hens that are throwing all boys, could it?!
ep.gif

Back
Top Bottom