Langshan Thread!!!

What is recent to you? My grandparents even bred for plum eggs. Therefore I cannot agree with what you have seen. Unless the 1950s are recent in your opinion in this case. Our birds were larger than average. 8 lbs was one of our smallest. My grandfather took pride in their intelligence, hardiness, sweetness, size, egg color, meat, and production. They were the best dual purpose breed by his standards. Not to mention how gorgeous they are. I am upset that my my family has let this strain die out. I have seen similar ones in shows, but they are smaller than the birds that I grew up around. Check out livestockconservancy.org .

That is very recent considering I'm citing history from the 1870's when the breed was brought from China, (and early 1880's when it was brought from England to the U.S.)

8 lbs is a good weight for a pullet. Don't know where you are located or what kind of shows you're attending so can't judge what you're comparing against.

Livestock Conservancy is a nice group but they're also relative newcomers and not always accurate. The authority on poultry, well large fowl at least, is the American Poultry Association.

Glad to see youth interested in Langshans!

That is very recent considering I'm citing history from the 1870's when the breed was brought from China, (and early 1880's when it was brought from England to the U.S.)

8 lbs is a good weight for a pullet. Don't know where you are located or what kind of shows you're attending so can't judge what you're comparing against.

Livestock Conservancy is a nice group but they're also relative newcomers and not always accurate. The authority on poultry, well large fowl at least, is the American Poultry Association.

Glad to see youth interested in Langshans!
I am actually thrilled by his choice. Brahmas are his second choice. My youngest son is into Asian ducks and Cochins. An Asiatic chicken household I guess? The Asian has been bred out of the people in our household. Maybe we are trying to get it back. Lol.

Australian Langshans I think you will only find in Australia. They came about because some breeders of (Croad) Langshans felt they had to bring in some fresh blood to save the Croad Langshans from total extinction, so they crossed in some Australorps, and it worked quite well. They managed to get a nice bird with good colors, reasonable egg and meat quality, but, somehow, they lost that special Langshan-type. This is something I dont quite understand, as Australorps was was used in the "mix" when they re-created the extinct bantam-Croad in the 1970's, and they (the really good ones) look just like small Langshans. An Australian Breeder, Tony McKenna, seems to have done a lot of work with the Australian Langshan, and he has a few good films on Youtube. Just go to Youtube, and type in "Croad Langshan" in the searchbox. He is also a member of the Croad Langshan Club.
I know this is a very old thread but I just wanted to clear something up. Tony McKenna has done a lot of work to Croad Langshans, I have had his line of Croads.

There are no Bantam Croad Langshans in Australia, only ones recreated by crossing Croads and Bantam Australian Langshans.

These Langshans are beautiful. I'm actually going to setup my chicken house this spring. I'm very excited (I've been trying the last two springs but life has gotten in the way.)

After much research and going back and forth, I had finally decided on Orpingtons until an article was posted about rare chickens and I am now trying to decide between Langshans and Dorkings.

The big question for me is the color variety. Are Langshans like Orpingtons in that if you breed to blues you have 50% chance of getting black, 25% blue and 25% splash?

If not, how does it work with Langshans?

These Langshans are beautiful. I'm actually going to setup my chicken house this spring. I'm very excited (I've been trying the last two springs but life has gotten in the way.)

After much research and going back and forth, I had finally decided on Orpingtons until an article was posted about rare chickens and I am now trying to decide between Langshans and Dorkings.

The big question for me is the color variety. Are Langshans like Orpingtons in that if you breed to blues you have 50% chance of getting black, 25% blue and 25% splash?

If not, how does it work with Langshans?

Blue works the same in all chickens. It is a semi-dominant dilute gene. Where one copy gives you Blue, two copies give you splash and zero copies leaves you with black.

So in theory (Punnett square) when breeding blue x blue you get 50% Blue, 25% Splash and 25% Black. In practice and smaller sample sizes that may or may hold true.

I really like the black and the splash but the blue ones are pretty, too. If I got one of each hen, which rooster should I get to breed them to for a colorful yard?

Back
Top Bottom