Large back wound.. will skin grow back

A dog grabbed one of my hens last year and tore a HUGE chunk from her back. It was bad, bloody, and I could also see bone. I rushed her to the vet, and he told me to keep her isolated inside, so flies couldn’t get to her. Gave me antibiotics and told me to rinse the wound under cool plain water. She was in our “mobile chicken hospital” in a dog crate in our jacuzzi tub for 2 weeks. She’s perfectly fine now. The only thing he told me was not to get a rooster as mounting her would kill her, and told me to get a gun in case the dog came back. He told me NOT to apply antibiotic ointment.

I'll try and get you better pictures as these just dont show how sever the womds are.

Thank you for your interest and questions on this.

Sorry for all the questions, it overall helps determine the general healing length of time the wound might take to heal. Overall, it sounds like the precautions and treatment you have taken and done are up to code with most veterinary wound management articles I have read.

One of my concerns, and it's probably something you should mention to your vet, is the possibility that she may have lost her oil gland during the attack. In the case that she did, she won't be able to bathe in deep water without supervision, since the oil that produces from the oil gland is what they use to stay afloat and not drown. A duck without oil on its feathers would be like a chicken in water.

Please consult with your vet if you can. But as general supportive care, continue to keep the wound moist with a triple antibiotic ointment. I personally prefer Prep H ointment since it promotes the respiratory content in the epithelium, which promotes overall healing.

Keep her in warm, quiet, stressful free area, that's away from flies. Any changes in water/feed intake should be reported to your vet.

A dog grabbed one of my hens last year and tore a HUGE chunk from her back. It was bad, bloody, and I could also see bone. I rushed her to the vet, and he told me to keep her isolated inside, so flies couldn’t get to her. Gave me antibiotics and told me to rinse the wound under cool plain water. She was in our “mobile chicken hospital” in a dog crate in our jacuzzi tub for 2 weeks. She’s perfectly fine now. The only thing he told me was not to get a rooster as mounting her would kill her, and told me to get a gun in case the dog came back. He told me NOT to apply antibiotic ointment.
Thank you did he say why you shouldnt use anti bacterial ointment?

Sorry for all the questions, it overall helps determine the general healing length of time the wound might take to heal. Overall, it sounds like the precautions and treatment you have taken and done are up to code with most veterinary wound management articles I have read.

One of my concerns, and it's probably something you should mention to your vet, is the possibility that she may have lost her oil gland during the attack. In the case that she did, she won't be able to bathe in deep water without supervision, since the oil that produces from the oil gland is what they use to stay afloat and not drown. A duck without oil on its feathers would be like a chicken in water.

Please consult with your vet if you can. But as general supportive care, continue to keep the wound moist with a triple antibiotic ointment. I personally prefer Prep H ointment since it promotes the respiratory content in the epithelium, which promotes overall healing.

Keep her in warm, quiet, stressful free area, that's away from flies. Any changes in water/feed intake should be reported to your vet.
Thanks again for all of the quedtions and advise. I always appreciate questions . You never know what a person has thought of until it has been asked.

You Rock!.

Thank you did he say why you shouldnt use anti bacterial ointment?
Because flies are attracted to the stickiness of it, and will lay their eggs in it.
I kept her inside my bathroom until she was completely healed, though, so I really didn’t have that to worry about. But if you have to keep it outside, that’s the reason.

I don’t know whether or not it’s ok, or not ok....I am going by what the vet told me. He’s an exotic animal vet, who treats every animal imaginable, so I will just trust his judgement and advice. The oral antibiotics and plain water baths worked just fine

Because flies are attracted to the stickiness of it, and will lay their eggs in it.
I kept her inside my bathroom until she was completely healed, though, so I really didn’t have that to worry about. But if you have to keep it outside, that’s the reason.
I don’t know whether or not it’s ok, or not ok....I am going by what the vet told me. He’s an exotic animal vet, who treats every animal imaginable, so I will just trust his judgement and advice. The oral antibiotics and plain water baths worked just fine

Under no circumstance should an injured bird be kept outside. All veterinary wound management articles I could find on birds, say's triple antibiotic ointments are recommended with most wounds.

Under no circumstance should an injured bird be kept outside. All veterinary wound management articles I could find on birds, say's triple antibiotic ointments are recommended with most wounds.
:)
I’ll stick with my vets advice. That’s why I pay him the big bucks :thumbsup

As for keeping an injured bird outside, I honestly only know my situation. I can probably tell you that the farmer beside me would probably cull his injured bird before even thinking about taking it to the vet, much less keeping it inside.

Back
Top Bottom