large fowl brahma genetics ........ can anyone help me please ??

After looking at the number of birds you have and the time it would take to make the bird- my advise is for you to hunt down a breeder and buy a trio.

Tim

After looking at the number of birds you have and the time it would take to make the bird- my advise is for you to hunt down a breeder and buy a trio.

Tim
thanks tim, thats why i wanted to make them as there isnt a breeder that i can find in the uk, i do have access to other colours and can buy them if i need to, would you be able to tell me what colours i would need ,either by pm or on here ! many thanks
michelle
thumbsup.gif

thanks tim, thats why i wanted to make them as there isnt a breeder that i can find in the uk, i do have access to other colours and can buy them if i need to, would you be able to tell me what colours i would need ,either by pm or on here ! many thanks
michelle
thumbsup.gif

All of the descriptive names used in this post are phenotypes and not variety names.

You want to make a golden duck wing first. Note I said golden duck wing not a gold duck wing. The goal is to produce a silver duck wing phenotype male that has red on his shoulders- this is a golden duck wing.

Can you get silver duck wing females or silver wheaten females? If not let me know. You could use light brahma- but that may present a problem. If you have to use silver pencilled birds (dark brahma) that will also present its own problem..

Pick a red pyle male that has lots of red on his shoulders and back- the darker the red the better. Cross this male red pyle with silver duck wing females. This cross will produce F1 males that can be used in the next cross. They will be red pyle looking birds. I would hatch at least 5 males. You should get white adult males that have some red on their shoulders and back. If the adult males do not show some red on the shoulders, your birds do not carry autosomal red. You need the autosomal red, so if there is no red on the the shoulders you will have to stop the project.

Next cross.

Cross an F1 male with the most and darkest red on his shoulders with silver duck wing females. Hatch at least 30 BC1 chicks. Approximately half of the BC1 chicks will be some variation of white the other half will have non-white chick down. You want the chicks with the non-white down for breeding. Some of the BC1 chicks with the nonwhite down should grow into golden duck wing. Some of the BC1 females will be gold duck wing ( do not use for breeding) and some will look like silver duck wing ( use for breeding). These females that look like silver duck wing and may show some red on their shoulders ( a good thing) or they may not (which is still ok). You will have to put leg bands on each BC1 male so you can identify him.

Cross the BC1 silver duck wing females with the BC1 golden duck wing male that has he cleanest white ( straw color) hackles with red on his shoulders. This cross should only produce BC1F1 silver females and golden duck wing males. This cross should not produce any gold duck wing females. If it does produce gold duck wing females that means the male you used was not pure for silver. Hybrid males ( carries silver and gold) can be used to make golden duck wing but they will also produce gold duck wing females when crossed with a silver female.

The next step is to introduce the blue gene to your golden duck wing.

Cross a superior golden duck wing male with a splash female ( I am assuming the splash carry silver). This will produce F1 blue chicks. Hatch 10 F1 chicks. The adults will be blue-like birds.

Back cross the superior golden duck wing male to the blue-like F1 females. Hatch 30 BC1 chicks. From the 30 chicks you should get a few blue golden duck wing females ( blue silver duck wing looking). These BC1F1 females may be dark silver duck wing but that is ok. Take a look at the tail feathers- only use silver duck wing females for breeding that have blue tail feathers.

Back cross the BC1F1 blue silver duck wing females to the superior male golden duck wing. This last cross should produce what you want.

Tim

PS. I will post this and come back later and read this again to make sure I did not make any mistakes.

Last edited:
you are wonderful and thankyou EVER so much
thumbsup.gif

i will also keep checking back to let you know how i am going on, i have also been given a nice bso type cock but dont get him until the 7th march , i will get her to send me a pic and i will upload a pic of him and would you look and tell me if he is any good and maybe we can shorten the complex breeding progamme and maybe you may have some other suggestions on what to use ....sorry for being a pain !
thanks again
big_smile.png

Michelle - If you put a dark roo over your red pyle hens 100% of the hens with be the blue silver brahma. The males will be mismarked blue silver males with the orange shoulders (BSO). If you want pure blue silver males you have to cross the blue silver females with a dark rooster. You can use a Blue Partridge hens with the following results:
Dark Brahma♂ x Blue Partridge♀ gives 25% Mismarked Dark Brahma Males, 25% Mismarked Blue Silver Males, 25% Dark Females, 25% Blue Silver Females.

Hope that helps

brahma bso pic that im getting off my friend

The male in the picture is a blue brown red crow wing phenotype. The birds you wan to produce are a blue golden (silver) duck wing phenotype.

male x dark brahma= F1 blue birchen ( with red on shoulders) males and birchen males ( with red on shoulders) F1 females will be blue birchen or birchen all should have some red peppered on the back.

Do this first cross and see what the F1 males and females look like. What the offspring look like will determine the next cross. The male may not be purebred for birchen, if he is not purebred birchen it will show in the offspring he produces , If he is not pure bred, some of the males will have silver (leaking red) duck wing triangles and the females will show poor penciling,

The next cross will be a sibling cross. You can not use the male in a back cross because he carries the gold allele- you want to do a sibling cross so you can produce silver males and females, The silver allele the F1 inherit will come from the dark females in the first cross.

What you do in your future crosses depends on how the genes segregate in the offspring in the second cross. You will have to breed out the pattern and birchen genes while maintaing the blue gene, brown alleles, autosomal red phenotype and silver genes.

Tim

Last edited:
My head is Reeling...... I have a BSO Roo and he is gorgeous. I will have to get a picture. Currently I am trying to get him to grow his tail feathers back we have a feather picker and I have been supplementing regular feed with sunflower and other seeds and a scoop or 2 of cat food and wild gamebird food to up the protein to help him grow his tail feathers back. . I have dark brahma , blue partridge , gold partridge, lavender (self blue) , lights , one blue roo and a splash roo and hen as well. I have other colors too but am most certain that none of those colors would help in any way. Now if I should possibly be able to figure out all of the genetic crosses that you all have been so helpful to post result in a BSO hen if they are bread back to each other would they breed true from there on out?

Did you manage to get your bso?
I recently had a struggle trying to find out how to match my brahmas and i found out that if i breed my Dark rooster with my orange splash hen(i think in US is called red pyle) i will get only BSO offsprings.

Back
Top Bottom