Large Fowl Cochin Thread

I am wanting to get some lemon blue cochins when we replenish our flock and I was wondering if there was any special things that I need to know to take care of them and if they are good layers, I know they are some pretty birds and I love them.

I'm so happy to be jumping back on this thread! After years of not having LF Cochins (had to sell my gorgeous breeding flock when we moved, I even had frizzles :hit ) I'm getting back into them. I couldn't find any breeder quality birds close by, and having eggs shipped is something I don't like to do, so I ordered them from Meyers. I have 9 new babies that should ship out soon. I got 3 barred, 3 blue and 3 splash. It stinks that I'll have to go through the work of breeding them back up quality wise, but I'm excited to have a small flock of them again!!!!

Did you order from Meyers Hatchery in Ohio? I ordered 6 straight run last year and got 3 gorgeous roosters the light grey has the best plumage but the other are beautifuly colored. I don't know which one I should keep in with the hens. I know nothing about color genitics. Hope to learn from this web site.

Last edited:
"I" ordered my cochins from Meyers hatchery also. Surprizingly, they have an independant breeder raising some of the breeds they offer. My order placed was for 4 white hens and no roosters. I purchased with the intent of outcrossing with another breed needing fresh blood from a parental maker used in the development of this bird.
The temperment and demeanor of the cochins is outstanding! Color transfers from a rooster to a hen can be something you may want to leave to show quality breeders. You do not have show quality stock to be concerned with following that path. Hatcheries can sell some very nice birds but they are rarely of show quality. What you really need to do in my opinion is breed the best to the best and don't concern yourself with what color that emerges. Have fun with it it and maybe breed more than one of those roosters you have for your first batch of hatching eggs and see what hatches out. Use those chicks coloring to elect future birds from. Good luck!
frow.gif

Thank you for the advise I just want true to breed chickens when it comes to the cochins. I have a moving rainbow in my back yard!

Anyone have any large fowl blue, blue buff, lemon blue, or splash Cochin cock birds for sale? I'm looking to add to my flock. Looking for a mature bird, but not old. Willing to pay $ plus shipping for the right boy. Tia! :)

Quote:
I do have a very fluffy cochin rooster not sure which type. Got him a year ago when I ordered straight run cochins from Meyer Hatchery will try to post a picture,

Back
Top Bottom