Large Fowl Cochin Thread

I have 3 cochin roosters in my flock and have no problems with them. These birds are big and could do some damage to a small garden. My cochins and small chickrns (sultun and silkies) all get along just fine. Thanks to my silkie for being broody I now have cochin and silkie babies. Total now is 56 chickens and 2 new seramas.

Its funny but birds that are hatched together usually get along better regardless of sex. Keep in mind that it is a roosters duty to reproduce and protect the flock. You would be best to have 4 hens and no roosters! I would opt for another source to get what you really need.

yes! but here in this area of Spain I have had difficulties finding a breeder who offers cochins. Let's hope they are from the same hatch and that they are females. I researched here on BYC about sexing, and at 6 weeks the males often have a more pink comb, and the females are more feathered out. Of course I understand that is not 100% sure - but hey! it's nature. Nothing is ever 100% sure till they start crowing or laying...

yes! but here in this area of Spain I have had difficulties finding a breeder who offers cochins. Let's hope they are from the same hatch and that they are females. I researched here on BYC about sexing, and at 6 weeks the males often have a more pink comb, and the females are more feathered out. Of course I understand that is not 100% sure - but hey! it's nature. Nothing is ever 100% sure till they start crowing or laying...

Good luck! What area of Spain are you in? We lived in Moron de LA Frontera. I absolutely loved Espana!

Good luck! What area of Spain are you in? We lived in Moron de LA Frontera. I absolutely loved Espana!

yes Puddin, it is beautiful here. But the mañana, mañana, can get a bit much! but , hey! it's Spain! take the rough with the smooth!

We are in Dolores on the south Costa Blanca. Bought our dream home with approx an acre of land and I'm doing my best at homesteading while hubby slaves at the office all day. Never done it before, but it's a dream coming true!
celebrate.gif

Quote:
Oh, I would so love to move back there. Maybe one day when the kids are gone! Hope you get some beautiful birds. I am waiting on my broody to hatch. Tomorrow is day 21. She is sitting on 6 LF Lemon Blue Cochins and 4 bantys of mixed color. Can't wait to see the fluffy butts.

Fingers crossed for tomorrow! Maybe you could post some photos of mother and babies? I've never seen lemon blue before.

The eggs came from a friend who raises them. When I have a chance, I'll see if I can post a pic. I have a big event going on tomorrow so it has been keeping my mind off the hatch. I didn't hear any peeps when I tucked in tonight but hopefully will by tomorrow night.

The eggs came from a friend who raises them. When I have a chance, I'll see if I can post a pic. I have a big event going on tomorrow so it has been keeping my mind off the hatch. I didn't hear any peeps when I tucked in tonight but hopefully will by tomorrow night.

Hey Puddin! Maybe you or someone else can help me...
We will be picking up our new (first time ever) chicks in our car. There will be four of them. They will be 7 weeks old. It will be a one and half hour journey. The temperature is around 70ºF in the day time. I was thinking of transporting them in either a cat carrier (one of those hard airline approved ones) or in a cardboard box. (maybe the cat transporter will be too drafty as there are a lot of ventilation holes along all sides.) The cardboard box would just have some holes punched near the top for ventilation.
I will put some wood shavings in the bottom. and some plastic hardware cloth cut to the same size as the base of the container so they have something to grip with their little toes and aren't slipping around all over the place.

What do you reckon is better? Cat transporter or cardboard box with lid?

Hey Puddin! Maybe you or someone else can help me...
 We will be picking up our new (first time ever) chicks in our car. There will be four of them. They will be 7 weeks old. It will be a one and half hour journey. The temperature is around 70ºF in the day time. I was thinking of transporting them in either a cat carrier (one of those hard airline approved ones) or in a cardboard box. (maybe the cat transporter will be too drafty as there are a lot of ventilation holes along all sides.) The cardboard box would just have some holes punched near the top for ventilation.
I will put some wood shavings in the bottom. and some plastic hardware cloth cut to the same size as the base of the container so they have something to grip with their little toes and  aren't slipping around all over the place.

What do you reckon is better? Cat transporter or cardboard box with lid?
[/qu

At 7 weeks they should be fully feathered, or very close. I would go with the car transporter with some shavings to cover the bottom. Have food and water waiting at home and they should travel just fine. Congratulations! Good luck

Back
Top Bottom