Large Fowl White Cornish Roosters or Hens?

cow bay rooster

In the Brooder
Apr 2, 2015
Cowichan Bay Vancouver Island BC
OK I have 6 Standard Cornish and I'm trying to determine how many hens I have as the plan is to keep all the hens and 1 or 2 roosters to breed them. They are 18 1/2 weeks old, the first one is a rooster I"m trying to figure out if pictures 2-4 are hens.

Last edited:
First is a cockerel, 2 and 3 look like pullets, and I think the last is a cockerel also.

The first and last are definitely cockerels since they have pointed saddle feathers. The other two appear to be pullets.

I agree. Also you might want to reconsider breeding the Cornish cross to your standard Cornish. One of the interesting quirks of hybridization is that Cornish cross mature much faster than either their standard Cornish fathers or their White Plymouth Rock mothers and are ready for butchering at 8 weeks. However, if you keep them much beyond that period of time, they begin to develop serious health problems due to their abnormal growth rates. As a result, Cornish cross only infrequently live to laying age and being hybrids, even if you do manage to breed some, they will not breed true. If you really want to breed Cornish cross yourself rather than purchase them as chicks, you would be better off to get some White Plymouth Rock hens and breed them to your Standard Cornish roosters. Their offspring would then be Cornish cross.

Thanks for the replies everyone! I've only had chickens now for a little over 7 months and had to google saddle feathers to see what you were referring too lol. This will definitely help me from here on in to tell the difference.

Right now I'm concentrating on raising Standard White Cornish as they seem to be a hard breed to find. So far my egg layers are keeping me in eggs and covering the cost of feed for all my chickens so if it take 8 weeks or 20 weeks to raise meat birds I"m ok with that.

Thanks for the replies everyone! I've only had chickens now for a little over 7 months and had to google saddle feathers to see what you were referring too lol. This will definitely help me from here on in to tell the difference.

Right now I'm concentrating on raising Standard White Cornish as they seem to be a hard breed to find. So far my egg layers are keeping me in eggs and covering the cost of feed for all my chickens so if it take 8 weeks or 20 weeks to raise meat birds I"m ok with that.

You're welcome.

Back
Top Bottom