Large lumpy mass in abdomen

mammabird34601

Chirping
Nov 19, 2019
Brooksville, FL
I have a sizeable flock of around 23 hens, several of the older ones are around 4 1/2 years old, and a couple of these oldest hens are starting to show their age.

A couple months ago I noticed a large red, pimple-like welt on the hiney of one of my austrolorps but, being that she was acting completely normal and I couldn't determine what it was, I didn't do much to treat her other than providing the whole flock with some dewormer and electrolytes. This week she had some feces accumulation in that area so I gave her an epsom salt bath, during which the current nature of her situation was revealed. The welt has transformed into a large lumpy mass in her abdomen. Being a lifetime bird owner, I know that birds tend to hide the severity of their illness from their comrades so as not to display weakness, but she really is acting completely normal. Normal poops and eating habits, not lethargic, no comb discoloration, and she perches just fine at night. I think that maybe one of my lavendar ameraucana hens may be suffering from the same thing - she has a bit of a waddle and the fluff beneath her vent seems a bit puffier than is normal for an ameraucana - but I haven't been able to catch her to verify.

Of course googling 'large lumpy mass in chicken abdomen' presents a myriad of results, none of which are great. But I can't quite nail it down. I should mention that I live in a pretty rural area and around 'these here parts' we don't have a vet that would see a hen, nor can I afford to take her to one. I don't intend to euthanize her unless she appears to be in obvious and imminent distress and I will do everything within my capabilities to take the best care of her that I can. I'm not beyond nursing ill birds in my house, making special food for them, or giving enema's several times a day when needed.

Any help you expert lot could provide will be greatly appreciated. Photos attached for reference.

Attachments

• 28E39EAA-47E9-44C9-B030-DBBBF5FA307A.jpeg
    28E39EAA-47E9-44C9-B030-DBBBF5FA307A.jpeg
    460.7 KB · Views: 48
  • F038BA4E-C3BB-4508-989A-4BC4DF4E2BBA.jpeg
    F038BA4E-C3BB-4508-989A-4BC4DF4E2BBA.jpeg
    885.9 KB · Views: 16
  • 5A0E6EE7-8D5C-475A-BDDB-154D46F671FF.jpeg
    5A0E6EE7-8D5C-475A-BDDB-154D46F671FF.jpeg
    613.7 KB · Views: 15
I would wonder if she possibly has oviduct cancer, a common finding in chickens over 3. Internal laying egg masses from salpingitis is also a possible reason for the lumps. How do both of her eyes look—are the pupils equal and round?

I would wonder if she possibly has oviduct cancer, a common finding in chickens over 3. Internal laying egg masses from salpingitis is also a possible reason for the lumps. How do both of her eyes look—are the pupils equal and round?
You know, when I was giving her the bath I noticed that her eyes and pupils looked different but didn't make any connection to the other symptom. When I zoom in on that last picture I posted, I can see that her pupils seem to blur a bit and the left eye is even more 'blurry', if I remember correctly.
I have not seen any lash eggs recently, although around 3 years ago I did find one in a nest box. Salpingitis was one of the possible diagnoses that popped up when I googled... This terrifies me because one of the recommended 'treatments' is depopulation of the entire flock. Is it contagious? And if so, how contagious are we taking? Is euthanasia of the entire flock my only option at this point?

Salpingitis is a fairly common cause of death in older hens. I would not depopulate for that. Here is a good article that explains how chickens get salpingitis:
https://extension.psu.edu/salpingit... and infection of the,ducks, geese, and quail.

As far as her eyes go, a close up of each eye in good light could be helpful. One type of Mareks disease is the ocular type. This will cause the pupil to look irregular and the iris may become faded or gray.

Salpingitis is a fairly common cause of death in older hens. I would not depopulate for that. Here is a good article that explains how chickens get salpingitis:
https://extension.psu.edu/salpingitis-salpingoperitonitis#:~:text=Inflammation and infection of the,ducks, geese, and quail.

As far as her eyes go, a close up of each eye in good light could be helpful. One type of Mareks disease is the ocular type. This will cause the pupil to look irregular and the iris may become faded or gray.
This is a helpful resource, thank you very much. Based on this and other information I've read, I I think you're right that this is most likely what's happening with her. Glad that depopulation is out of the question.
I will work on getting a better photo of her eye. Still not sure if it's just her coloration or if it's an indication of a bigger problem.
Much appreciated!

Back
Top Bottom