Large vent, straining to lay...

Do you give them anything besides a layer ration? Scratch? Scraps? Suet blocks? Any thing?

Bugs shouldn't make your girl "fat." They're solid protein, pretty much... How does her abdomen feel? Hard? Squishy? Any odd masses?

MrsB
I only give them about 2 small handfuls of BOSS. Her abdomen feels squishy. And, she feels squishy below her vent. I do think she is withholding some fluid maybe? She is laying but she still takes a while in there and makes a little straining discomfort noise. :(

What did you use yo worm your girls?
Safeguard followed up by wazine 6 months later.

I only give them about 2 small handfuls of BOSS. Her abdomen feels squishy. And, she feels squishy below her vent. I do think she is withholding some fluid maybe? She is laying but she still takes a while in there and makes a little straining discomfort noise. :(

Safeguard followed up by wazine 6 months later.

I hope the worming fixes her up!

MrsB

I hope the worming fixes her up!

MrsB

Well, I don't think worming is the issue since I wormed her a while back-I don't think it can be worms since she is current on her worming.

She is still straining, but she is able to pass the egg. It takes her a while though, longer than it used to for sure, and she whines and whimpers during it(something new as well), but she does pass it... is that normal for some hens, to take a while and to whine while laying?

Well, I don't think worming is the issue since I wormed her a while back-I don't think it can be worms since she is current on her worming.

She is still straining, but she is able to pass the egg. It takes her a while though, longer than it used to for sure, and she whines and whimpers during it(something new as well), but she does pass it... is that normal for some hens, to take a while and to whine while laying?

What de-wormer did you use, at what dosage and how long ago exactly was it? I realize you said above you used Safeguard followed by Wazine 6 months later, but that doesn't really address the dosage and how long ago that '6 months later' would have been.

Last edited:
I am currently dealing with a similar situation. I took my 5 y.o. Buff Orphington to the vet yesterday. She had a swollen vent and feces staining the feathers underneath of the vent. She squats as if to poop but little comes out. She hasn't laid in a long time. The Vet x-rayed her and saw that her cloaca was enlarged and full of poop. She diagnosed it as "Mega colon" which people and dogs and cats get. It happens when the nerves and muscles in the lower end of the GI track no longer function properly and lose their ability to get the waste down the GI track and out the body. She is being treated with a medicine that stimulates the upper GI track (as her crop is slow to empty) and if that doesn't work, there is another drug that works on dogs that stimulates the lower GI track. Unfortunately, the drugs used to treat birds are "off lable" i.e. drug companies don't advertise them for use on birds or other exotics as there is insufficient demand for drugs to treat them and they won't go to the expense of testing them. I'll try to post of picture of the xray. I hope this isn't what your bird has but may be a possibility.
kind regards and good luck.
Gallusdomesticus

You can see here that her cloaca is much larger than it should be...its the baseball size object underneath her tail.

What de-wormer did you use, at what dosage and how long ago exactly was it? I realize you said above you used Safeguard followed by Wazine 6 months later, but that doesn't really address the dosage and how long ago that '6 months later' would have been.

With safeguard, I dose with a syringe 1/2-3/4 cc, once, then repeat in 9 days. With Wazine, I just followed directions. She got safeguard 7 months ago, and then wazine just a month ago. I did just read that some folks use safeguard for 5 days to treat pesky worm issues, which I can always try, just to be sure...
Sounds like she needs more calcium in her diet.
Perhaps...I have free choice shell, and she gets layena purina...recently, two of her eggs have had hard dark speckles, which I thought were excess calcium? Perhaps she over treated herself to the grit following her struggles?

I responded to the wrong thread, thinking I was somewhere else... Just ignore me! :3

MrsB

:) :) No problem! :) :) I appreciate your help on the thread. :)
I am currently dealing with a similar situation. I took my 5 y.o. Buff Orphington to the vet yesterday. She had a swollen vent and feces staining the feathers underneath of the vent. She squats as if to poop but little comes out. She hasn't laid in a long time. The Vet x-rayed her and saw that her cloaca was enlarged and full of poop. She diagnosed it as "Mega colon" which people and dogs and cats get. It happens when the nerves and muscles in the lower end of the GI track no longer function properly and lose their ability to get the waste down the GI track and out the body. She is being treated with a medicine that stimulates the upper GI track (as her crop is slow to empty) and if that doesn't work, there is another drug that works on dogs that stimulates the lower GI track. Unfortunately, the drugs used to treat birds are "off lable" i.e. drug companies don't advertise them for use on birds or other exotics as there is insufficient demand for drugs to treat them and they won't go to the expense of testing them. I'll try to post of picture of the xray. I hope this isn't what your bird has but may be a possibility.
kind regards and good luck.
Gallusdomesticus

You can see here that her cloaca is much larger than it should be...its the baseball size object underneath her tail.

I am sorry to hear about your sweet girl. <3 Thanks for sharing! I have never heard of this...she def shares a couple of symptoms- her crop is always big and squishy, and she has a soft squishy lump that hangs under her vent. This is def something I will look into-thanks!

Back
Top Bottom