Late bloomer or barren?

GuloGal

Chirping
Apr 21, 2020
East Kootenays
I have a hen hatched April 19th of this year showing all signs of being mature enough to lay, but not laying. She is a caramel queen (Welsummer x Light sussex cross from True North) and I got her along with 3 others (2 Barred rock and 1 Production red) from the same hatchery. The 3 others all started squatting and being more vocal at the end of August, and started laying on Sept 2nd. After a couple weeks they started to be pretty consistent with 3 eggs daily. Jolene has a very developed comb and wattle, has always been the most mature looking of them all, but doesn't exhibit any behaviour linked to being ready to lay. Are some hens just late bloomers, or how often does a hen just never lay?

I have a hen hatched April 19th of this year showing all signs of being mature enough to lay, but not laying. She is a caramel queen (Welsummer x Light sussex cross from True North) and I got her along with 3 others (2 Barred rock and 1 Production red) from the same hatchery. The 3 others all started squatting and being more vocal at the end of August, and started laying on Sept 2nd. After a couple weeks they started to be pretty consistent with 3 eggs daily. Jolene has a very developed comb and wattle, has always been the most mature looking of them all, but doesn't exhibit any behaviour linked to being ready to lay. Are some hens just late bloomers, or how often does a hen just never lay?
I personally have never had a just not lay eggs. But, I have had a pullet not start laying till she was 9 - 10 months old.
I'd say just give her time.

I would give her some more time as well. She may have a problem with her reproductive system or she may just be a late starter. Pictures might help. If her comb and wattles are huge, it could mean she has a damaged ovary and will never lay.

Screen Shot 2022-10-18 at 9.24.23 AM.png

Not a massive comb but about the size of the others her age, and she was the first to grow wattles (hens in the background are 1 month younger, the brown one is laying and the BCM hasn't started yet).

View attachment 3295428

Not a massive comb but about the size of the others her age, and she was the first to grow wattles (hens in the background are 1 month younger, the brown one is laying and the BCM hasn't started yet).
She looks very normal and ready to lay. But when the days shorten, as they have for the past month, many hens and even pullets will stop laying. It's possible this girl will wait until Spring to start. That is not unusual.

Ok thanks, I wondered how much the weather would effect them, since they are mostly heritage breeds. Certainly the ones that are laying have only amped up since October. We have had an exceptionally warm fall with tons of sun, and the girls have been feasting on moose bones from hunting season. They have never been interested in veggie scraps but they go crazy for meat.

I have been able to match the eggs to who lays them since I find the hens in the nest boxes quite often. They are pretty consistent with their colour/size, its the just the two barred rocks I can't tell their eggs apart. I have never found Jolene in the nest boxes, and never had 5 eggs in one day, which would happen sometimes if 5 of them were laying rather than 4.

Back
Top Bottom