Late January Hatch?

So Jealous!!! Tomorrow is day 18 for us. I sat the eggs at 9 am. But I need to wait until my daughter is home around 1:45 to candle for day 18 and put them on lockdown. I don't think I will cull any based just on lack of movement. I hate to crack open an egg that is still good simply because I didn't see it moving that time. I don't plan to water candle until like day 25, but I am sure by that time if they haven't hatched they aren't going to.
fl.gif
Fingers crossed that all 18 of 24 left hatch out. My kids are so excited to see them hatch and my daughter wants to take them to her 1st grade class to show them off. Last year we took some in, but they were the ones we bought at a feed store, not ones that we hatched ourselves.

Good luck to all on our upcoming hatches!!!

Finally got the humidity up, had to close some vent holes and add a humidifier to the room, steady at 60-70% now. I haven seen any movement in yesterday or today but am in lockdown now so we will just have to see I guess. How do you water candle?

Finally got the humidity up, had to close some vent holes and add a humidifier to the room, steady at 60-70% now. I haven seen any movement in yesterday or today but am in lockdown now so we will just have to see I guess. How do you water candle?

To water candle I fill a large glass with water that is very warm almost to the top and set it in another bowl to catch any overflow and gently slip one egg at a time in. Let it settle in the glass till it stops bobbing and wait to see a wobble. Don't try this multiple times as getting eggs wet can compromise the protective coating on the eggs. I had 3 eggs sink to the bottom and thought they were done for but when they stilled they all wobbled so I'm happy. I only water candle the day of lock down, others may do differently.

Last edited:
OMG OMG!!! I see a chick trying to hatch and can hear it chirping. I want to take to top off and look closer but I don't want to mess anything up. I'm so excited!!! Any mother hen chirp sounds I can download and play? Lol

OMG OMG!!! I see a chick trying to hatch and can hear it chirping. I want to take to top off and look closer but I don't want to mess anything up. I'm so excited!!! Any mother hen chirp sounds I can download and play? Lol

Awesome!!! We are candling and doing lockdown tomorrow afternoon. It's killing me to wait. We best get pics after they hatch! What do you have in there again? I have the hardest time remembering lol.

Yay! How exciting! I talked to mine as they were piping and they would squeak back. Hopefully Thursday or Friday I'll have some more pips too. Congrats!

So one decided he wanted out and hatched tonight! He's in there bumping around the other eggs. Do I leave him in there?

I have a Barred Rock Rooster and hens plus 4 sex link hens so I could have BR chicks or a mix. I haven't seen who is laying which eggs yet, lol!

So one decided he wanted out and hatched tonight! He's in there bumping around the other eggs. Do I leave him in there?

I have a Barred Rock Rooster and hens plus 4 sex link hens so I could have BR chicks or a mix. I haven't seen who is laying which eggs yet, lol!

you mean your not chasing those hens around making sure you know whose eggs are whose lol. I had (they quit until spring apparently) barred rocks and buff orpington. I have no clue who lays what egg but they aren't fertile. I only have a houdan rooster and the girls aren't having any of his love show lol.

Leave that baby in there. It will encourage the others to start pipping and you do not want to open the incubator. He will talk to the others too. I know I'm gonna want to grab that first baby up and snuggle it too lol. But alone they would get lonely outside the incubator too.

Back
Top Bottom