Latest Hatching and brooding dates.

Jan 20, 2023
Just curious if folks have a plan. I'm in New Jersey and like to have chicks hatched January through early March. They lay much better for me all winter as I don't supply artificial lighting. I don't want the 18 t0 20 week laying age going into the shorter days of winter. I have had very good success with this as others in the area have carried mid to late summer hatches all winter with few if any eggs. This is not my idea, it's what my grandmother told me to do back in '60s-'70s when I started my own chicken keeping. Plus I have had nothing but RIRs and various Ply Rock type birds. Now have Blk Auss hatched Jan 17 and Mar 15. Hoping for eggs end of May early June so they will be cranking them out steady going into the winter. What experience have others had? Different latitudes different results no doubt.

Just curious if folks have a plan. I'm in New Jersey and like to have chicks hatched January through early March. They lay much better for me all winter as I don't supply artificial lighting. I don't want the 18 t0 20 week laying age going into the shorter days of winter. I have had very good success with this as others in the area have carried mid to late summer hatches all winter with few if any eggs. This is not my idea, it's what my grandmother told me to do back in '60s-'70s when I started my own chicken keeping. Plus I have had nothing but RIRs and various Ply Rock type birds. Now have Blk Auss hatched Jan 17 and Mar 15. Hoping for eggs end of May early June so they will be cranking them out steady going into the winter. What experience have others had? Different latitudes different results no doubt.

Nice idea!~

I haven't planned out anything before. The only thing that would deter me would be their youth during the cool weather. I don't use that many eggs so unless I decide to sell them, I don't mind having fewer eggs in winter. It seems to pick up so quickly.

Back
Top Bottom