laugh of the day

I've had to explain that too. I lived in southern California when I was young and found myself explaining that on repeat in school. It's really bad when you have to explain it to the teachers.

My husband came home in stitches the other day. His coworker insisted that you can't keep chickens and cows together because cows eat chickens as part of their normal diet.

The first time my friend saw me feed my female parrot scrambled eggs was priceless. He asked, "Birds eat eggs?!" like it was the most disturbing thing he'd ever heard. The day he found her eating one of her own eggs I thought he was going to be sick.

It's so weird when something you think is basic, common knowledge is so shocking to people from the city.

Cows. eat. chickens?? ROTFLMAO!!!! WOW!!! Thats one I haven't heard before. I'm going to be rolling for awhile on that one :)

Parrots have feathers, make noise and females can give you eggs for a very tiny breakfast so I could see the confusion. I've met people who would do that.
lol.png

Last edited:
Lol, this thread is great!
I sell chicks regularly, and had someone here the other day picking out Silkie pullets. Then they dismally turned toward the cockerel pen 'I guess I'm gonna have to get one of those so I can have eggs' they sighed dejectedly. I tried not to laugh as I explained it to them.
On another occasional I had to explain why one of my hens was eating her egg. CANNIBALISM ALERT! Very normal though. We feed eggs to our budgies too.
And one of the best was the look of horror upon learning you can eat fertilized eggs. Being a total country person, this was common knowledge to me. I'd always known it, but I'll admit it took me a long time to actually get up the nerve to do it the first time. I used to take my roos out from with the hens for three weeks before eating the eggs cause I couldn't stand to eat something that could be a chick. Years later, I don't think a thing of it. But several people have found it horrifying
ep.gif

A farmer friend of mine (who really should know better!) argued with me once about blood spots in eggs. He is convinced it's a developing embryo and nothing would sway him, until I asked him a question (that may be suitable in response to the "Do you need a rooster around for the hens to lay eggs?" question as well)

Did you ever see a rooster at a battery farm?

Agreed; it's surprising the number of people who think you have to have a rooster for hens to lay eggs. I remember one incident where it took posts from both drumstick diva and myself to convince a new member that this wasn't the case.
My dh insisted a rooster was needed for eggs. He wouldn't back down, so I proved it to him. We had pullets for a year, that laid eggs just fine. Then I got a rooster. The funny thing is, he grew up in WI, and was around farms all of his childhood. His family even owned chickens.
idunno.gif

On the human side of things, I've had people tell me it has not been determined by science that the gender of a baby comes from the man. And that wow! Human babies are born with their eyes open!
he.gif
Sometimes I wonder if there is any hope for the human race.

I had heard about eating fertilized eggs and found it interesting. I only remember thinking it meant I wouldn't have to fuss with keeping my roosters away from my girls until breeding.

Back
Top Bottom